Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tranexamic and now vaginal scan ...

(15 Posts)
PickAName456 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:44:19

Looking for any advice or similar experiences, bit of background.

Was very anaemic from heavy clotty periods, last summer was put on iron tablets and tranexamic, came off the iron once my levels were right and happily continued on the tranexamic which has reduced my flow and helped with the associated pain.

Just this last month I had the usual period and after a week another period started which three weeks on is still going strong.

A visit to the drs and I'm booked for a hormone blood test to see if its menopause related and a follow up with a vaginal scan to check things out.

Anyone had anything similar? Anything else I should be asking?

tobee Wed 10-Feb-16 13:18:22

Could be a number of things, cysts and fibroids, thickened lining spring to mind. I had transvaginal scan after tests showed very low haemoglobin. They found I had a fibroid that was causing the heavy, never ending periods. I had gynae appointment first where she checked me over externally and took thorough history. Then, at the scan, I was very lucky because the sonographer told me what she saw there and then. I had a cyst on one ovary which she said was likely to be an ovulating cyst and I had a six week follow up to check it at a different time in my cycle. It was. Be prepared for there to be several appointments before they can be sure. Although the transvaginal scan showed likely fibroid they couldn't be sure until I had a hysteroscopy during which they attempted resection and did a biopsy. I didn't find anything painful but I was scared witless due to health anxiety. I think it's an extremely common problem but not much discussed irl. Good luck!

tobee Wed 10-Feb-16 13:20:35

PS. I took transexamic and it didn't help at all, so maybe it's no longer effective.

tobee Wed 10-Feb-16 13:21:04

Pps for you I mean, not generally.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-Feb-16 13:48:42

I would request a gynae referral if that has not already happened. Such problems are well outside a GPs general remit. Treating the symptoms alone does not address the cause, its the cause that needs to be also determined.

Fibroids if they are there should be seen on the scan, endometriosis if it is there will not be seen as these deposits are so very small. Both fibroids and endometriosis can cause heavy bleeding to arise, if your periods are painful too then endometriosis should be suspected.

I would also keep a daily pain and symptom diary as this can also provide clues.

PollyPerky Wed 10-Feb-16 18:23:28

How old are you? if you are 45+ then it could be hormonal and par for the course, to be honest.

Scans are usually very accurate these days if the radiologist is good- it depends on who does it. I've had loads - once I was being scanned every 4 months for 2 years with an ovarian cyst. Fibroids are easily identifiable. It's not usual to do a hysteroscopy for a fibroid- biopsies are taken if an area looks suspicious- or if there is no other reason found for bleeding- and you could for example has hyperplasia.

Try not to worry.
I assume the scan will be monitored by a gynae and not just your GP?

PickAName456 Wed 10-Feb-16 19:21:11

Thanks for the replies. I'm 45 so like you say probably just hormones kicking off.

Hope this doesn't mean I'll have three week long periods every month.

Not sure about the gynae bit though as up until now I've only dealt with my GP.

Will see how it goes and what if anything they find, reassuring to know though that the scan will be accurate so can find the cause once and for all.

Will have to have a wander over to the menopause forum

thanks ladies x

Musicaltheatremum Wed 10-Feb-16 20:29:37

GPs are well qualified to deal with this. You've been referred for a scan and once the results are known then theGP can act accordingly. You'd never get a gynae appointment for years if we sent everyone up with symptoms like yours.

PickAName456 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:34:09

Thank you, yes my GP practice has always amazing so I'm sure I'm in safe hands.

PollyPerky Thu 11-Feb-16 08:13:58

Just to add- blood tests are very unreliable during peri menopause because your hormones change daily.

The rule is to take 2 blood tests in a month- one during days 2-5 of your cycle and one after day 14 (mid cycle.) These may need to be repeated for a 2nd time. if your GP has not done this, don't take any notice of the results.

It's amazing how many GPs don't know this and think a random blood test (which would only be useful for a women very much post-menopause) is going to show anything useful.

Once you get your results the likelihood is you will be referred to a gynae because some of the treatments for heavy bleeding include emblation or a Mirena coil. Your GP can do the latter.

You might find HRT will help control your cycles, or even the Pill which you can take now up to 50.

NapoleonsNose Fri 12-Feb-16 21:44:02

I've got similar things going on OP. I'm 43. Currently also into my 3rd week of bleeding. I had spotting for a week and wondered if it was ever going to start, then whoosh, the floodgates opened. Since then, its been heavy somedays, then almost stops and I think it might be stopping only to start again. Luckily no more flooding though. I'm fed up now and I've lost count of the amount of sanitary products I've got through this month. I'm off to the docs in 10 days for bloods and an exam too. Do come back and let us know how you get on. Its good to know I'm not the only one. DH is very unsympathetic!

PickAName456 Fri 12-Feb-16 22:29:56

Hello Napoleon, I knew I was menopause age, but I hadn't realised that this was the kind of stuff I would probably be experiencing.

Since starting this thread I've been reading lots of the posts over on the menopause forum and looks like crazy heavy periods that last weeks at a time are the norm. So I'm guessing that's what it is, not good though, having to carry spare trousers and bags of sanitary stuff everywhere, sucks all the fun out of everything.

I blame my mum for never telling me any of this, I thought it was just hot flushes and sweats.

PickAName456 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:40:24

Just for Napoleon who wanted a follow up.

Had my scans today, for anyone who is wondering not painful at all.

She did both an abdominal scan and a trans-vaginal scan, said that there were lots of fibroids. I have a persistent period/stitch type ache where I would guess my left ovary is, she spent ages looking in that area but didn't comment, just said nothing sinister only fibroids. Its finally good to know a cause.

She said removal of the uterus was the treatment for fibroids, but she would write with to the Drs and it would depend on whether I would rather put up with them. She did ask me if I had any questions but you know what it's like, couldn't think of anything until I left blush but obviously now I've got plenty - I'm wondering how many and how big.

Suppose I have to wait and discuss results with Dr.

PickAName456 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:45:21

and had a look on google images what they look like shock not nice to think I've grown some of my own - yuk

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 12-Mar-16 18:22:50

"She said removal of the uterus was the treatment for fibroids"

No, no and no again. This is totally incorrect information!.

Am glad to read that the cause has finally been determined and am not all that surprised to read that it was fibroids. Those can and do cause heavy bleeding to arise.

A Myomectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the fibroids, generally via the abdomen, without removing the womb (uterus).

A chat with a gynae rather than solely the GP is in order now. This is well outside a GPs general remit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now