Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Switching from warfarin to Xarelto

(5 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Sat 06-Feb-16 09:27:29

My MIL was recently prescribed Warfarin (along with beta blockers) for Atrial fibrillation.
Given that warfarin interacts with foods and requires regular monitoring another family member on my side recommended she asked for Xarelto instead. He has been on Xarelto happily for several years.
She didn't do that initially as her and FIL were just relieved to get a diagnosis.
This week they returned from holiday early to see a GP as the warfarin was 'playing up' ( we don't yet know exactly what that meant!)
Anyway from a layperson perspective I can see no reason in the NICE guidelines for this drug not to be appropriate - but before DH and I mention Xarelto again as a newer alternative that required less 'management' I wondered if anyone has any experience as to whether this is a worthwhile and positive idea? TIA

Musicaltheatremum Sat 06-Feb-16 11:47:57

Warfarin is still the gold standard treatment and is better at protecting from strokes. It is easy to reverse if bleeding happens which is not so with the newer drugs. If it's just for convenience I would stick with warfarin. You can buy your own monitors for checking the results. The newer drugs are also affected by poor liver and kidney function. It is certainly not a "safer" drug.

Liveinthepresent Sat 06-Feb-16 14:06:47

That's interesting musicaltheatre thank you for your reply - you sound like an expert which we are clearly not. I think we will keep out of it in that case , especially as we don't yet know the details of exactly what the problem was.
I read many articles that seemed to indicate these newer drugs were better but clearly it isn't quite that straight forward.

OzzieFem Sat 06-Feb-16 16:16:25

Warfarin doses are changed depending on the results of a blood test which is usually done weekly. Your MIL may have been expecting a regular daily dose and find the constant dose changing difficult, as they will probably be using 1-3 different dose Warfarin bottles to get the correct amount needed.

Does she or her husband have difficulty with eyesight or manipulation of medication bottles? I have difficulty opening the kiddy proof tops myself!

Liveinthepresent Sat 06-Feb-16 21:50:53

Thanks ozzie that's interesting - we are seeing them in a couple of weeks so will try to identify what the issues are. I think what we are worried about is that the monitoring required kind of perpetuates the mindset that she is ill rather than popping the pills and forgetting about it. I know the most important thing is the right treatment but we just want the best for her and others are telling us that the newer drugs avoid all this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now