Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

calprotectin - poss crohns - steroid side effects?

(4 Posts)
Pickofthepops Thu 04-Feb-16 10:57:00

Hi can anyone comment? Various symptoms including some blood, diarrhoea - calprotectin raised and have sigmoidoscopy on Monday. Given prednisone in meantime. Pain in Lower right abdomen worsened since and having night sweats and weeing umpteen times every night. Could this be the steroid? My initial pain and remains top left abdomen - was told pleurisy late last year. It feels hard and stiff from boob to rib. Am scared stiff about bowel cancer. Any thoughts anyone?

Inthehighcastle Fri 05-Feb-16 19:35:01

My calprotectin level was raised and I had a tender lower right abdomen and have been diagnosed with Crohns. Don't know about the steroids as I'm yet to start them but apparently most Crohns appears in the distal ileum (which mine is) and this presents as lower right sided abdominal pain

MrsPinotGrigio Fri 05-Feb-16 21:26:26

I have Crohns & all my pain was in my left side under my ribs although my Crohns was mainly in the terminal ileum which is in the right. Gastro Dr said that was normal but didn't explain why - I just assumed it was due to the massive amount of inflammation I had when I was diagnosed. With the steroids night sweats are common as is disturbed sleep & anxiety. If you're worried can you speak to your GP or do you have access to an IBD nurse. Hope your scope goes ok on Monday.

Pickofthepops Sat 06-Feb-16 20:17:16

Thanks so much both for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now