Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush-how long for fluconazole single dose to work?

(5 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Wed 03-Feb-16 21:53:22

I've had a dose of vaginal thrush on and off since an antibiotic a few months ago blush The cream alone wasn't clearing it so a few weeks ago I tried the Canesten single dose pessary with the cream. Still didn't shift. It wasn't the worst dose I've ever had but just always there and annoying. Went to the doctor last Friday and he prescribed a single dose of 150mg fluconazole. Took it saturday and all of the external discomfort and redness was gone by Monday and also the internal itching that I had felt high up seemed to be clearing up too (sorry if tmi).

However, since yesterday, the internal itching is back but lower down, just around the entrance to my vagina confused It's not too bad but noticeable after going to the loo.

I know they say that you need to give the fluconazole a week to work but I'm just wondering is this normal? Could it be that the infection is working it's way down and out? Or is it a sign that the fluconazole isn't strong enough or hasn't worked?

zen1 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:50:31

I took a capsule a couple of weeks ago and it definitely took more than a couple of days to work (I was expecting a quick fix!). I think it was the full 7 days before the itching finally subsided.

Micah Thu 04-Feb-16 10:51:44

I'd keep using the cream/pessary too.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Thu 04-Feb-16 10:55:47

You sound like me a few months ago. I had it recurring and my DH and me kept passing it between ourselves even when we were taking the single doses as they didn't seem to clear it up completely. We ended up being prescribed seven days each and that's sorted it right out. After a week it shouldn't really still be itchy. Usually a few days. Did the doctor take a swab to check it wasn't bacterial vaginosis.

Tinkerbellx Thu 04-Feb-16 14:38:38

Hi
If your having SI or have had SI with a partner during a time when you have thrush you will have passed it onto him .
Men almost always have no symptoms and will just keep reinfecting you .
I always suggest treat partner as well .... Just a thought you may not be in a relationship but if you are then give him the cream ! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now