Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hypothyroid blood tests - best time of day.

(5 Posts)
BestIsWest Mon 01-Feb-16 21:54:31

Being tested for hypothyroid by my Endo and having blood tests on Wednesday.
My last set of tests in December were 7.3 TSH and T4 13.2 so he is thinking sub clinical hypothyroid.

My question is, is there a best time of day for testing for hypothyroid?

At my last appointment he said he will most likely give me some form of treatment, any one got any advice for me on what I should be asking for?

Thanks.

Clarella Tue 02-Feb-16 13:21:41

I was told by a consultant to do in the morning / same time of day but that's when on thyroxine. So I'm not sure. Could you ask the endo? There is a circadian rhythm but I'm not sure if they are that bothered as those results do sound subclinical. Maybe try for same time as last test get consistency.

If it's NHS you're likely to be put on thyroxine to replace what you're not able to make.

Pleasemrstweedie Tue 02-Feb-16 13:30:31

First thing in the morning, as early as possible, and having fasted overnight.

TSH is highest about 3:00am and gradually drops throughout the day.

Sorry, with a TSH of 7.3 and an FT4 of 13.2 you are hypothyroid full stop.

Get yourself over to ThyroidUK for good advice.

BestIsWest Tue 02-Feb-16 17:13:57

Thank you both. First thing tomorrow then. I have loads of symptoms and Endo is really good compared to the last one I had. This one listens. Off to look at ThyroidUK.

Clarella Tue 02-Feb-16 17:55:21

Good, I'm sure you'll get treated.

By nice guidelines those scores plus symptoms should warrant treatment. (Though technically classed as 'subclinical' till Tsh 10)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now