Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Struggling to put weight on after depression - help?

(20 Posts)
byebyebirdy Mon 01-Feb-16 10:09:38

Marital breakdown just over a year ago and the divorce sent me into a bit of a spiral mental health wise. I didn't go on Anti-D's (GP didn't think I needed them) but it was a struggle to keep going for a while. I've turned a definite corner and am feeling a lot better but I'm now having other issues.

My stock reaction to stress is to stop eating - I just don't feel hungry. This first started up last summer and although technically I havn't lost a lot of weight (just over a stone in that time) and am in the healthy BMI range, since I'm slim anyway I do look very thin.

I just find that I can't bring myself to eat. I usually have 1-2 small meals a day which are healthy enough. Anything more and I feel sick. Today for example I've had a small bowl of porridge and now I feel ill.

I know I need to keep eating and maybe little and often is the answer? Any advice?

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 01-Feb-16 10:13:20

Maybe don't increase the number of times you eat, but just bump up the calories in your existing meals?

Having never had this problem -- stress sends me running to the biscuit tin -- I'm afraid I have no other solutions! We need to swap food-diaries for a week. That'd help you gain...

TanteRose Mon 01-Feb-16 10:25:32

You need to try and eat high calorie foods like nuts and avocado
www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/highest-calorie-foods.php
So if you have toast, have it with peanut butter.
Or veggies with creamy dip.
But also little and often.

TanteRose Mon 01-Feb-16 10:29:10

I went down to about 44 kgs (I'm 168 cm) after my second baby and struggled to put weight on while breastfeeding.
It just took time and in your case, it will be difficult after your very stressful year flowers

TanteRose Mon 01-Feb-16 10:29:50

Actually you should have some cake and chocolate grin

SwearyGodmother Mon 01-Feb-16 10:32:03

Can you drink some of your calories? Shakes are often given to recovering anorexics to get extra calories in when they can't manage the volume of food required to gain.

byebyebirdy Mon 01-Feb-16 10:36:44

Thanks all. I'm thinking of maybe switching to things like fruit smoothies and nuts like in the link. Stuff that's easy to consume.

Still feel sick after the bowl of porridge.

byebyebirdy Mon 01-Feb-16 10:44:29

Sorry cross post with you sweary. Do you know of any shakes in particular?

Daisy2016 Mon 01-Feb-16 10:49:54

Could higher calorie savoury foods help you more than a big bowl of porridge with some sugar? Perhaps you don't like overly sweet things so maybe start your day with toast and nut butter or eggs and avocado on toast? I wouldn't suggest eating unhealthy foods just to gain weight as healthy fats (nuts avocado eggs etc) will help your mental health too. Good luck getting better and gaining some weight

YeOldeTrout Mon 01-Feb-16 11:00:33

What exercise do you get? Exercise makes most people hungry.

byebyebirdy Mon 01-Feb-16 11:11:22

I don't do much exercise yeolde (single parent without much support) and to be honest I'd be worried about collapsing when I know I'm not eating enough to sustain myself. blush

YeOldeTrout Mon 01-Feb-16 11:15:47

Could you try some walking... exercise is one of the best self-help things people can do for depression, too, the official research says and all.

byebyebirdy Mon 01-Feb-16 11:20:35

That's true yeolde. With a job and small child I may have to try and fit it in over my lunch hour or something.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 01-Feb-16 11:22:29

Do you feel sick or do you feel anxious? When I'm anxious, I feel nauseous and I don't eat much.

byebyebirdy Mon 01-Feb-16 11:35:49

It can be both fugg. Today it's just feeling sick, but I'm conscious that it's worse when I'm anxious. sad

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 01-Feb-16 12:07:54

to be honest I'd be worried about collapsing when I know I'm not eating enough to sustain myself

I doubt you'd collapse after you'd had a bowl of porridge. smile

YeOldeTrout Mon 01-Feb-16 12:11:22

Just a 20 minute walk... especially if there's some sunshine, that could nudge your spirits up, too.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 01-Feb-16 12:54:03

Thought so sad I understand. Do you start of eating thinking 'I bet I'll feel sick after this' or similar, might be psychosomatic. I would see another GP about what you're going through X

Lurkedforever1 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:01:02

Roughly how much do you need to gain? And were you naturally slim before the stress?

byebyebirdy Fri 05-Feb-16 10:57:09

I'm naturally slim lurked and have lost only just over a stone (I'm now 8.5 st) but it's the feeling sick thing getting me at the moment. I can only manage a few mouthfuls of anything before feeling sick. Even the smell of food makes me feel sick.

I'm currently trying to eat a Complan soup in an attempt to get something in me. And feeling sick with every mouthful. I've got a pack of nuts to nibble on for later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now