Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu when pregnant

(6 Posts)
5minutestobed Wed 27-Jan-16 16:09:45

Hi, I am 23 weeks pregnant and I think I have the flu - cold symptoms, bad cough, achy, feverish.
Do I need to see a Dr or should I just rest? I feel pretty awful but I'm not sure at what point I should be more concerned? The nhs website says there is some kind of drug I can take to help prevent complications, I've never heard of this though?
Also yes I know I am an idiot and should have had my flu jab, I cancelled it a few weeks ago because I was ill and then haven't got round to rescheduling it.

MistressMerryWeather Wed 27-Jan-16 16:22:05

I would ring your GP and see what they say, your symptoms sound more like a bad cold than flu but there's no point in risking it.

Are you keeping an eye on your temperature?

5minutestobed Wed 27-Jan-16 16:45:35

Yes, I don't know how you tell the difference. Its the fever/chills that has me concerned, I don't normally get that with the cold. I hope its just a cold, it came on suddenly hopefully it will go just as quickly!

RancidOldHag Wed 27-Jan-16 17:02:49

Do you live by yourself, or do you have another adult there who can keep an eye on you?

If it is flu, then it can be more serious during PG, which is why it's a good idea to have someone around who will call for help if your symptoms become severe.

Otherwise, there really isn't much a doctor can do. Rest, fluids, and keep a careful check on how much paracetamol you take (if you decide to take any at all).

I hope it turns out to be a mild version of whatever you've got, and that you shake it off quickly.

MistressMerryWeather Wed 27-Jan-16 17:05:31

I'm only suggesting it may be a bad cold from my own experiences.

I've only had the flu once about 7 years ago and honestly thought I was dying. The fact that you can even type is a very encouraging sign. grin

As I said though, best talk to a doctor. Your pregnant so you can't be too careful.

I hope you feel better soon though and I'm sure you are sick of hearing this but keep yourself hydrated. flowers

5minutestobed Wed 27-Jan-16 17:06:07

Yes DH is here, am in bed now, hopefully I will feel a bit better tomorrow if not might give the GP a call. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now