Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding after using Balance Activ? (TMI!)

(13 Posts)
FuckedUpFanjo Wed 27-Jan-16 14:19:50

Have had various gynae problems for 7 years. Decided to try BalanceActiv pessaries to try and make sure pH down below was OK. First one stung like an absolutely fucker all night and I didn't get much sleep. Persevered and used a second last night, same story although this morning I've started bleeding. It's not periody though, it's a different shade and quantity. Don't think I'll use again (it says use 1 for 7 days) but does that sound like a cause for concern? I'm guessing not but just wanted to check. I am overdue to have a period, they're still settling down after stopping BFing, but this isn't like my other post-partum periods.

There's not really an appropriate person to ring to ask this, and Google hasn't helped. Annoyingly I was at the GP this morning but was so relieved that she was so nice and agreed to let me see the gynaecologist that I forgot to ask about the BA stinging. Then when I got home I'd started bleeding.

Thanks!

hollinhurst84 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:29:38

I had some spotting with it. If it stings like hell it might be thrush though. It has stung me a lot before!

voodoolooloo Wed 27-Jan-16 22:37:00

I cried actual tears of pain when I used this once. The stinging lasted all night. Without being too personal, have you any small abrasions inside? I did ( from itching blush) so that's what caused my stinging. I'm wondering if they could cause the bleeding?
Never again. I never did the second dose (or the third, fourth..)

FuckedUpFanjo Thu 28-Jan-16 08:06:09

Yeah it probably is thrush, had it every month for 7 years and sometimes in between, but I've come to think it's NOT thrush anymore as no thrush treatments work anymore. Just chronic itchiness maybe. I probably do have abrasions yes. Cannot bring myself to examine myself, pessary is traumatic enough! Has led to other chronic conditions down there too, pain etc. Hence the gynae referral. All this on top of 3rd degree tear and incontinence from childbirth. MISERABLE!
Sorry to derail my own thread grin thanks for responding. I've decided it is an actual period now.

jelliebelly Thu 28-Jan-16 08:15:35

If you've suffered from persistent thrush have you considered your diet at all? I suffered on and off for s year or so - saw s private dietician and she worked wonders without too much drastic - too long ago now but she gave me various supplements and I reduced yeasty foods. After 4 weeks it went and has never returned .

FuckedUpFanjo Thu 28-Jan-16 08:17:48

Yes thanks, I've tried everything, it's been 7 years after all. Did the candida diet and candida cleanses etc, supplements etc. Seen various consultants for years at a time but never a dietician though, I'll add it to the list.

LittleLionHeart Thu 28-Jan-16 09:13:33

I thought I had persistent thrush but it was diagnosed as vulval dermatitis

FuckedUpFanjo Thu 28-Jan-16 09:24:42

Yeah that's one of my current theories too, I've had dermatitis on my hands before. I've seen consultants before who all say the skin looks normal though. Also think it might be hormonal as it's always before my period and i have bad skin too. This has been going on since I was 19 - didn't have much experience of going to the doctors and stuff so first few years I probably wasn't persistent enough. Bloody stupid as it affected my wedding day, honeymoon, etc etc etc, i just am always uncomfortable. A miracle DS was ever conceived as we rarely have sex!
Anyway, getting off topic now. Moved to a new area now so hopefully a nicer care trust and this referral will be better smile also have a couple of private consultants I'm ready to contact if NHS gets me nowhere.

Bolshybookworm Thu 28-Jan-16 09:37:05

Have you been on the vulval pain society website?
www.vulvalpainsociety.org/vps/
They have lots of info about vulval conditions, it sounds a little like you might have vulvodynia. they have lots of info about it, although there's no "one size fits all" treatment. You could ask about steroid creams at your referral if you think it's dermatitis.
I have similar skin to you (and vulval pain issues) and have to be very, very careful about what I put on my vulva, pretty much everything irritates it. I'd bin the pessaries if they sting!

FuckedUpFanjo Thu 28-Jan-16 09:44:32

Hi, yes I have vestibulodynia due to all the thrush irritation. Saw a consultant at the GUM clinic for 2 years about it, was on amitriptyline and lidocaine gel to retrain my nerves. She didn't focus on the underlying cause of the pain ie the thrush, so she discharged me once pain improved. We moved areas then and I never got referred again until we've moved again now. In that time I was trying lots of stuff myself. Honestly, it's been 7 years, I've been trying all that time to help myself, I've not just been sitting about suffering in silence! Thanks for everyone's suggestions though, i know it sounds like I'm just poo-pooing them.

Add to this piles and having to use vaginal dilators and having double urgency (still under physio), my undercarriage is very miserable indeed sad

Bolshybookworm Thu 28-Jan-16 13:50:39

I know how you feel. My vulval pain issues are now pretty much resolved (if I'm careful), but now I have some sort of prolapse instead. Not rushing to the doctor with it as past experience tells me that I'll have to wait 6 months for a gynae appointment anyway angry

I would really love to have a period of my life where I could just forget about my Fanjo like a normal woman!

Incidentally, I agree with you RE hormones, my pain definitely used to cycle and both times I've finished breast feeding I've had a little relapse. I tried oestrogen cream but the base irritated me. Might be worth looking into though? I also found steroid cream (dermovate) soothing when I was really bad.

Bolshybookworm Thu 28-Jan-16 13:52:08

Ultimately, it's about getting lucky with the right gynae- they vary hugely in their knowledge of vulvo/vestibulodynia (and don't even start me on gps.....)

FuckedUpFanjo Thu 28-Jan-16 14:10:06

I have oestrogen cream... Hah I just sound flippant now! But I honestly have some in the bathroom, i had a vaginal polyp removed at my tear from labour follow up and the cream was to help heal that. How do you use it for other issues, just slather it on? I was told not to use it for more than 6 weeks. Will add it to my list of things to ask at my gynae appt.

Agree it would be nice to just have a normal vag for a bit!! I literally cannot live like this until menopause, and even then who's to say it would settle down then? At the GPs yesterday I said if I could have, I would have cut my own vagina off by now blush I took a 3 page document of bullet points outlining all the treatments I've had and the timeline from 2009-now and she took it and is sending it off with my referral. She was so nice. But I mainly wrote that doc because I can't talk about it without crying which is bloody annoying when you want to actually get your point across and be forceful!!

I'm really sorry you've had issues too Bolshy, I wouldn't wish this on anyone! Gives me hope that you're a lot better now thoughflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now