Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Knee pain after running

(8 Posts)
InionEile Sat 23-Jan-16 04:46:35

I'm training to do a 5k in March and have been running every couple of days for the last couple of weeks, mostly on the treadmill at the gym. Yesterday I did 2 miles on the treadmill, running and walking at intervals and today my knees ACHE! They are so painful and I'm wondering if I've hurt myself. I'm not naturally a runner but I do walk a lot and can easily walk a 5k so am amazed that I'm in so much pain already. Am I just not cut out for running or is the knee pain a normal adjustment every beginner runner goes through?

InionEile Sat 23-Jan-16 04:50:06

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the usual muscle pain after a workout but actual joint pain in the knees.

nmg85 Sat 23-Jan-16 15:28:19

I got this with my knee training for a 5k last year and in the end had to walk part of it as my knee couldn't take it. I would rest it for a week or so and see if the pain gets better. I had to get mine strapped up as was causing so much issue. Have myself 3 months off after my 5k and have just a started running again, so far I have minimal discomfort but I am wary about doing to much.

nmg85 Sat 23-Jan-16 15:28:52

* given myself

MizK Sat 23-Jan-16 15:31:08

I used to really suffer but after I bought orthotic insoles the pain stopped. They may be worth a try?

lljkk Sat 23-Jan-16 15:33:19

Not normal. Did you build up to running the 5k, with shorter distances first for a few weeks? Or just leap into 5km every other day from no previous running?

ThisHorseCalledDonny Sat 23-Jan-16 15:39:31

Have you had your gait checked at a proper running shop?

Are your shows worn? I get the aches when my shoes need replacing, even though they don't look too worn on the sole.

Having said that I'm having a few months off due to knee pain that I think came on duper to doing too much too soon. I've switched to cycling for now.

InionEile Sat 23-Jan-16 18:52:43

I'm following a C25k program which I have as an app on my phone. I have jumped ahead a bit with it as I do work out and walk a lot but I have still been building up gradually, adding a bit more running each time, at intervals with walking.

A runner friend said I should check my shoes as they might not be ideal for running so I'll get them checked at a local running shop and maybe my gait too if they do that. Last time I bought shoes there (just for working out at the gym) the guy told me I had flat feet so I wonder if that has something to do with the knee pain? Could be I'm just not built for running!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now