Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trapped nerve in neck?

(7 Posts)
Hotpatootietimewarp Fri 22-Jan-16 14:32:14

For about a week now I've had a pain in my neck (left side mainly), it's a sharp pain that runs right down my neck and along the tops of my shoulders, particularly when I move my head to the side or up. It's making me feel pretty miserable with fuzzy heads. I have a 9 month old baby still in carry seat and a toddler so wondering if I've done something carrying the seat

MeadowHay Fri 22-Jan-16 21:14:27

From what you've described it sounds more to me like muscular pain, considering the sharp pain is present more when you move your neck/head around, and especially because you mention carrying your LO around. That could be putting too much pressure on the muscles and also affecting your posture. As it's only been a weak, I would think about self-care strategies for the time being.

Things that you can try to help aid recovery and soothe your symptoms:
- Heat. Hot water bottle, or heat patches that you stick on. Warm baths and showers. Heat gel that you rub on. Whatever you prefer.
- Cold. Cold gel that you rub on, or icing the area.
- Gentle stretches (you can do a google for neck/shoulder stretches, just make sure you stop if you feel like it's very painful otherwise you could cause more damage, just do what you are able to without pain). Little and often is key.
- If the pain is really bothering you, there are OTC meds you could take, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen. A particularly effective thing I find is ibuprofen in the form of a gel that you apply to the sore area.

If you speak to your pharmacist about it they will be able to advise what they have in stock that could benefit you.

If the pain suddenly gets worse, or becomes so severe that you can't move it properly, see your GP. If the pain stays the same but lasts for a fortnight or so, I would be going to see the GP anyway by that point, because it may be that you need some physiotherapy to help the healing process.

Millipedewithherfeetup Fri 22-Jan-16 21:27:37

Sympathies! Pains in the neck really are pains in the neck ! Cold and hot alternative pads works for me, frozen peas in a tea towel held until its too cold to bear, then follow with hot water bottle till its nice and warm, repeat for a few hours, also keep it moving as much as you can, stop obviously if it gets too much.

WhataRacquet Fri 22-Jan-16 21:54:49

Physio is the best thing. Don't leave it,hoping it will improve, it won't! I've just has a couple of physio sessions on mine and it's so much better. Don't let GP fob you off with anti-inflamitory tablets.

Hotpatootietimewarp Sat 23-Jan-16 07:46:19

I've already got ibuprofen due to me having problems with my sacrum/coccyx after falls my down the stairs 17 months ago and have just had a letter through for phsyio for that, could I mention my neck then or will they not do anything about that?

WhataRacquet Sat 23-Jan-16 14:11:54

I would mention it and see what they say. It could be related.

Hotpatootietimewarp Sat 23-Jan-16 14:40:36

I actually wondered if it could maybe be related to the coccyx issue as funnily enough my coccyx stopped hurting and my neck started

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now