Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone else have heel pain when they get up from sitting and walk?

(17 Posts)
NoahVale Mon 18-Jan-16 17:40:09

pain in my heel, and stiffness in my ankle, going round to my foot, quite non specific actually where it goes
i do,
and I dont really know what to do about it,
I can walk through it, after about half an hour I suppose. It even hurts to swim

if this is a common thing, i dont want to fuss about it

DoreenLethal Mon 18-Jan-16 17:41:30

Plantar Fasciitus.

It really chuffing hurts.

I had to get new shoes to get rid of it.

Annarose2014 Mon 18-Jan-16 17:43:21

Yes to plantar faaciitis. You just have to change shoes. Takes ages to go, but it does eventually.

NoahVale Mon 18-Jan-16 17:43:57

oh thank you

NoahVale Mon 18-Jan-16 17:51:50

any particular type of shoes? lace ups? heels?

songbird Mon 18-Jan-16 17:54:06

Or insoles can work.

oldsilver Mon 18-Jan-16 17:55:16

Yup, insoles and exercises - it's a bind, but with time and effort it eventually goes. Roll your foot/feet on tennis balls or frozen tins of beans for short term relief.

oldsilver Mon 18-Jan-16 17:58:56

I was advised to wear trainers or wedges - not flat at all. At it's worse I found only proper walking boots worked and as soon as Spring hit I was into Fit Flops.

Annarose2014 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:03:12

Fit flops are fantastic for it.

oldsilver Mon 18-Jan-16 18:04:17

Lots of calf stretches, hanging off stairs with just your toes on the steps or pushing your foot against a wall (toes pointing up) stretches everything. And of course using a towel to pull your foot towards you before you get up as it all tightens up again at night.

oldsilver Mon 18-Jan-16 18:05:30

My feet love Fit Flops :-D

NoahVale Mon 18-Jan-16 18:06:01

oh, good plan about the towel in the morning

Anomia10 Tue 19-Jan-16 22:23:59

Anti inflammatories relieve the pain. My GP referred me to the Musculoskeletal dept. Someone watched my gait, and sent me some insoles - they were much better for than the ones you can buy, say at Boots. I was advised not to walk round barefoot; and to always wear shoes that support the heels - such as no flip flops. It cleared up.

NoahVale Wed 20-Jan-16 06:46:53

oh that is positive

RomComPhooey Wed 20-Jan-16 06:52:28

A decent podiatrist can assess you and measure you for proper orthotic inserts, which really help. I find Fitflop trainers good for keeping it in check.

fieldfare Wed 20-Jan-16 06:55:35

I've just finished a course of physio for this.
Go see your GP and get referred, they'll assess you and give you some exercises to do specific to your pain.

My physio said that flip flops and ballet flats are an absolute no. I have supportive insoles in my boots and he also recommended fit flops for summer. The exercises are a killer but it does help it improve.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 20-Jan-16 07:09:19

I started wearing orthotics for back pain about 10 years ago, it is sufficiently sorted now that I can get away with only wearing them some of the time now, but if I go without them too much I notice my feet and ankles are incredibly stiff when I get up, they definitely sort it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now