Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Late onset of allergies?

(4 Posts)
Cerseirys Mon 18-Jan-16 11:25:02

I've always suffered from hay fever as I'm allergic to grass pollen. This meant that I usually had to take antihistamines from about April til July each year, and this controlled it.

However, since last summer the sneezing hasn't stopped! I wake up with a blocked nose and before long it starts to run and I'm constantly blowing my nose. So I have to take an antihistamine every day, even now, in the middle of winter. I seem to have developed an allergy to so many more things than just grass - even the waft of perfume from someone on the bus can set me off into endless fits of sneezing.

Has anyone else experience this?

crackedphone Mon 18-Jan-16 11:50:12

yes. very common.

go to gp ask for blood tests for environmental allergies. GP should prescribe a suitable daily antihistamine for you. Best to take a night btw rather than morning to lesson side effects during day time hours.

If you have confirmed allergies to common environmental allergens, such as dust mite, you may want to lesson exposure in your home. so come back here and I will help you!

Cerseirys Mon 18-Jan-16 11:58:46

Thanks, I have just put the bedsheets in for a hot wash and am going to hoover the bedroom to within an inch of its life! We don't have carpets, which makes things easier, and we do have a fortnightly cleaner but for insurance reasons she doesn't move the furniture when hoovering. Any other ideas to limit dust mite exposure would be very welcome!

crackedphone Mon 18-Jan-16 13:38:06

only use a hepra filter hoover, but really avoid using it if possible. damp dusting or steam cleaning floors and surfaces is better. hoovers just throw the dust mite in the air!

hot washing bedding is good idea, but you need decent allergy dust mite mattress , duvet, and pillow covers.

I wouldn't go to this cost unless confirmed dust mite allergy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now