Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods every two/three weeks - Dr google has convinced me of the worst

(5 Posts)
bialystockandbloom Fri 15-Jan-16 11:59:54

Does anyone have any experience of this? My cycle started decreasing last year, from being totally textbook 28 days all my life to erratic, short cycle of anything between 14-21 days now.

I had a blood test for peri-menopause last summer which came back clear. GP said I should go back for scan, which I just forgot about, but went again yesterday. She's referred me for u/s scan.

Being a massive health worrier I turned to google, and now thinking it could be womb cancer.

Anyone else had this for prolonged amount of time?

whatevva Fri 15-Jan-16 12:13:17

If you are peri menopause age, it is probably peri menopause. The ultra sound just rules anything else out. It is probably a good idea to have it if you can.

I had this when I came off the pill at 49. No one interested hmm It does seem a standard way to start menopause (if there is any kind of standard - we are all different)

Blood tests need to be done on a specific day of your cycle and are unreliable because of the nature of perimenopause. (Lots of threads about this on the Menopause topic).

See: www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Also, there are new guidelines issued by NICE, which are slowly working through the system...............https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23

whatevva Fri 15-Jan-16 12:14:18

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23

Roxy2307 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:16:03

Hi bialy, I have been struggling with this (AF at least 15 days out of 28) since August 2013. I, like you was very worried. I had ultrasound, blood tests, smears etc by several doctors and gynae but still have no diagnosis or cause. Thankfully I have been assured its not cancerous of anything scary! I have another appointment next week as my new Doctor thinks I have PCOS - even though I would have thought that this would have been picked up previously. Maybe it's just a hormone imbalance - not ideal when you are TTC!!
Is your AF consistent or on and off over the week? My AF lasts between 3 and 14 days.
But don't panic, there's probably a silly cause for it - very annoying though!

bialystockandbloom Fri 15-Jan-16 12:31:00

Thanks for replies, and for those links whatevva

I'm 45 so def peri-menopausal age, but the blood tests I had showed up no hormonal changes. But I didn't know that about the unreliability, will check out the thread.

roxy no worries about TTC for me, those days are well and truly over grin How frustrating that they still haven't found a cause for you.

My actual period is pretty consistent in length, usually 2 or 3 days - but a bit more complicated for me as I got Ashermans syndrome 12 years ago (after ERPC/infection) and my endometrium was quite severely thinned out - was only about 3mm even at ovulation, so never recovered from that. So length/heaviness of periods is always a bit misleading with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now