Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraceptive pill and migraine

(10 Posts)
MustBeThursday Thu 14-Jan-16 15:28:57

Wasn't sure where to put this one. Wondered if anyone had ever gone back onto the combined pill after having migraines? Would they let me?

I was taken off the combined pill (microgynon) probably about 3 1/2 years ago as I'd had a couple of migraines with aura. I'd been on that pill for probably 4 years due to irregular periods with no problems. I haven't had a migraine for over a year, probably closer to 2. I want to go back on it as it's the best one I've used and my cycle has getting more and more irregular - currently almost 8 weeks since last period and I'm fed up with it.

I tried a couple of progesterone only ones but didn't get on with them, then a few months later got pregnant with DD. I tried a progesterone only pill a few months after the birth, but I had problems with constant spotting etc and as the implant and the jab are progesterone based apparently it'll be more of the same. The coil is my only other option but I really hate the idea of it.

Mummyoftwo91 Thu 14-Jan-16 19:26:43

Had the same problem as you, I asked my gp last time I went as have been migraine free for a while but he still said no due to the slight risk

MustBeThursday Thu 14-Jan-16 20:16:24

Thanks for the reply mummyoftwo. Ugh, looks like I'm stuck with this then. Am reaching the end of my tether with it!

Mummyoftwo91 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:34:31

I was on cerelle mini pill and had the same problems I actually bled solidly on that, also it gave me acne and horrendous mood swings so I came off it and used condoms for 6 months and tried it again and I have been fine with it ever since, it's frustrating when you don't have many options due to migraines, I was on the combined pill before and the injection and got on so well with them both

Mummyoftwo91 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:36:28

Maybe have a little break from it and try it again

It seems unlikely. I was on the combined pill for a little under a month in about 2003, & started getting weird headaches with paralysis on one side. Obviously I came off it immediately. After the hospital diagnosed a specific type of migraines, they said I could never go on the combined pill again, increased risk of stroke (it runs in my family anyway). I still get the migraines though, & am still at increased risk of stroke with every attack.

I really wouldn't risk it.

FWIW, I used the implant (arm) with no issues. Didn't get on at all with uterine implant, but it didn't noticeably affect my migraines.

Nightwish Thu 14-Jan-16 21:06:58

I loved microgynon but had to come off for the same reason.
I hated the mini pill but was refused to be let back on microgynon despite asking repeatedly.
I now have the copper coil because my body seems incapable of dealing with progesterone only, and the implant gave me awful acne although it was great in every other respect.
Despite having a heavier period, a lot heavier, I really am much happier without added hormones.

Sidge Thu 14-Jan-16 21:18:27

Having migraines with aura is a complete contraindication for using combined hormonal contraceptives (including the pill, patch, ring) due to the significantly increased risk of a stroke.

It is classed as a UKMEC4, which is "A condition which represents an unacceptable health risk if the contraceptive method is used."

You'd be pushed to find any HCP that would prescribe you combined hormonal contraceptives with a history of migraine with aura, sorry.

I'd recommend a non-hormonal method such as a copper coil, or condoms if progesterones don't suit you.

Wolpertinger Thu 14-Jan-16 23:00:10

With aura -no chance.

Frankly, there's no chance even without aura, but if you found a HCP who would give it to you, then you shouldn't trust that HCP with your health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now