Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period problems!!

(6 Posts)
Spacebound Wed 13-Jan-16 15:14:58

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a supplement a could take. Every month before my period is due I start to feel really unwell, weak, tired, headaches, it feels like I have a virus!! I often struggle to even get out of bed sometimes! Some months I also suffer terrible mood swings, my poor husband bears the brunt!

I already take Evening Primrose Oil because a few years ago I was suffering from awful breast pain before I was due on. I find they do help the pain but can anyone suggest anything else?

Thanks!! X

AlpacaLypse Wed 13-Jan-16 15:33:19

Have you run this past your GP OP?

Spacebound Wed 13-Jan-16 15:48:55

No I havnt, I don't want to start taking medication. I was taking anti-depressants about 5 years ago and I don't want to go back on anything. I was hoping to try more of a supplement x

juneau Wed 13-Jan-16 16:08:39

Some people find agnus castus helpful with pre-menstrual symptoms.

venusinscorpio Wed 13-Jan-16 17:11:46

I'd suggest doing a bit of research first and ideally get your symptoms checked out by a doctor but Peruvian Maca root (used in Peru for thousands of years and last seen on the Apprentice superfoods episode) might help with your PMS and give you more energy. I think it can make some people's symptoms worse though and it can sometimes make you lay down more fat in certain places (it is thought to affect hormone regulation) so I advise caution. It's pretty easy to get hold of on Amazon etc.

PollyPerky Wed 13-Jan-16 18:24:42

TBH Space if you are having bad PMS then you should see your GP and suggest they refer you to a gynae who has an interest in this condition.

There isn't really a single supplement that works, but there are a range of lifestyle measures such as reducing salt, taking exercise maybe increasing certain B vitamins (B6) and maybe even prescribed drugs including hormonal treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now