Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Depression in Pregnancy

(2 Posts)
Gracielou2210 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:17:21

Hi guys,

I'm currently 6+2 so I know hormones are everywhere at the moment but I'm really struggling. My mood is at an all time low, I have lost interest in everything.

Before I found out I was pregnant I was taking anti depressants which I was advised to stop taking completely by my gp when they confirmed my pregnancy. That was nearly 2 weeks ago. Now the drugs are out of my system and I feel worse than I did before, when I came off the meds I was told to make an appointment to discuss my options but couldn't get an appointment for another 3 weeks.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has experienced it and if there's any advice you could give?

Thanks
G x

Maduri100 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:20:02

Hi hun, I'm sorry you are feeling awful. Is this your first pregnancy? I unfortunately became very depressed when pregnant with my daughter. So many factors came into play; I had had a miscarriage directly before, my marriage broke down and I had moved to a new area with no job or friends. The depression was do debilitating. With my son, I was absolutely fine throughout and post. I've never taken antidepressants, so can't comment too much on withdrawal / side affects etc, but I pregnancy just sends your hormones all over the place. Do you have plenty of support?

I recommend chatting to your GP and midwife, get all the support you can and push for it. I didn't, as I was in denial for a long time. I have had antenatal and postnatal depression for the past two years. I'm not saying this is in any way something you will experience! But, do try and help yourself. It's a crap place to be. I am only now seeking help. It doesn't help that I still haven't accepted my marriage is over.

You'll get through this, and don't beat yourself up. Make sure you have support.

Take care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now