Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what is this on my face??? (pic attached)

(58 Posts)
Flumplet Tue 12-Jan-16 14:44:52

I have this thing in the middle of my top lip, it has been there for years and years, as long as I can remember actually. I know the pic isn't all that clear , so the only way I can describe it is like a mole with no dark pigment, or like a pore that sticks outwards rather than going inwards. The reason I'm concerned about it is that it goes through cycles of becoming inflamed and then calming down - I worry that it might eventually turn cancerous. It's definitely not a spot. I'm nervous to go to gp because I don't want to be a time waster but ideally I would like it removed. Has anyone had/got anything similar?

Epilepsyhelp Tue 12-Jan-16 14:45:51

Definitely go to the GP! It's probably nothing but really worth going.

FarrowAndBallache Tue 12-Jan-16 16:00:13

You could have it removed under a local anaesthetic at your GP surgery I would think.

I would definitely ask about it though.

Flumplet Tue 12-Jan-16 16:24:49

Ok I think I will ask.

PollyPerky Tue 12-Jan-16 17:33:20

Do not let any old GP at your surgery remove it! You need a referral to a dermatologist via your GP or a cosmetic /plastic surgeon.
You might have to wait (unless GP thinks it's a dangerous mole type thingy).

I had a small mole removed from the edge of my lower lip. It was done by a plastic surgeon under a local. I had 3 stitches in for a week and have no scar at all. Nothing. I'd not have let anyone near my face unless they knew what they were doing. It cost me £500 at a private hospital but was worth it.

Flumplet Tue 12-Jan-16 17:43:29

That's a good point. I was wondering whether they would bother referring me though as its only quite small.

KP86 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:48:16

I reckon it is a pimple, but not the usual kind. You might have a blocked pore deep under the skin somewhere. I have one that I can feel above my lip as well, but it hasn't broken the surface. It also goes through phases of being more prominent and then goes back down.

Flumplet Tue 12-Jan-16 20:01:21

It's been there about 20 years though, maybe more.

PollyPerky Tue 12-Jan-16 20:36:16

it looks like a scar where a spot has healed and created scar tissue underneath- i've got one on my leg through it never changes.

KP86 Wed 13-Jan-16 08:20:55

I've had mine for ages too, and I'm <30.

Get a referral to a dermatologist and see what they say.

Flumplet Thu 12-May-16 14:33:09

Finally plucked up the courage to go to gp about this today, and she wasn't happy with it at all so I'm on a 2 week wait for dermatology. Should have gone sooner.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 12-May-16 17:51:06

I know someone who had something that looks similar to yours. I can't for the life of me remember the name but it's something that goes through stages, gets inflamed then goes down again. She had it for years before she showed anyone and the GP sent her to the hospital but the plastic surgeon took one look at it, knew what it was and lasered it off. Totally harmless.

I hope the same happens for you. GP's will rightfully refer you on a two week wait if they aren't sure what it is but in the mean time try not to overly worry if you can help it thanks

Fettuccinecarbonara Thu 12-May-16 17:55:42

It looks like it could be a few things; keloid scar; blackhead or (worst case scenario) basal cell carcinoma.

Dh has had a few bcc, they're only serious if left. Removal is simple.

DoItTooJulia Thu 12-May-16 17:57:09

Oh, Flump I just realised your OP was from Jan. What made you go in the end? flowers

Flumplet Thu 12-May-16 18:58:43

I decided to go because it scanned over and the scab fell off when I washed my face and it's been angry and bleeding so I decided I wanted it dealt with really and just plucked up the courage to phone for an appt. The GP has put '3mm crusted, indurated lesion' on my notes. I couldn't help googling and looks most like a squamous cell lesion with the hole in the middle of it. Stupid Google. There's nothing I can do about it just have to wait and see what the consultant says on 25th. Dh seems to think I'm worrying about nothing, but the gps face told me I wasn't worrying about nothing. Fingers crossed though!

Flumplet Thu 12-May-16 18:59:06

*Scabbed over

DoItTooJulia Thu 12-May-16 20:33:02

Yeah, probably best to stay away from Google. Stressful couple of weeks coming up-try and take care. More flowers for you.

Fettuccinecarbonara Thu 12-May-16 21:01:08

I agree to stay away from Google.

If you've had it as long as you say it's highly unlikely to be cancerous.

If it IS cancerous, it's more likely to be basal cell like my DH had. No follow up treatment, no concerns.

Easier said than done, but please try not to worry flowers

Flumplet Thu 12-May-16 21:14:26

Thanks both of you

Fettuccinecarbonara Tue 24-May-16 18:00:22

Good luck for your appointment tomorrow OP. Let us know how you get on.

DoItTooJulia Tue 24-May-16 18:02:50

I tried to find this thread earlier and couldn't, so pleased Fettucine bumped it!

Good luck tomorrow x

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 24-May-16 18:05:02

Good luck OP x

elvisola Tue 24-May-16 18:12:12

It looks to me like a rodent ulcer. My mum has one on her cheek, Drs just keep an eye on it she hasn't had it removed.

I have a tiny one also on my cheek but again it's just monitored. Good luck for tomorrow

Flumplet Wed 25-May-16 22:01:17

Thank you for your kind well wishes, the appointment went well with consultant today. she said didn't like the look of it at all and whipped it off then and there and it's been sent to histo for tests. It was quite a quick punch biopsy procedure but the local anaesthetic stung like a bugger!! She says that it's likely to have been a bcc, but whatever the outcome she is very confident that it has all been removed and that it shouldn't require any further attention which is reassuring. There's a quite a pathology backlog here and she hasn't prioritised it because she feels confident she's removed it all, so she says she'll be in touch within 4 weeks to let me know the outcome. I'm relieved it's gone and had a little look at it floating around in its little pot before I left - weird to think it's sat at the hospital waiting to be looked at now after all that time of stressing me out. I wish I had gone sooner. Thanks again for all your messages!smile

DoItTooJulia Wed 25-May-16 22:05:05

Ah, that's fab-you sound really relieved! wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now