Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bleeding early on pill, should I speak to Drs?

(13 Posts)
Shortandsweet20 Tue 12-Jan-16 10:28:32

Not to sure if I have posted this is the right area so please re direct me if needed.

I'm on microgynon 30 and was due to start my week break on Wednesday after I went back to back (so 2 packs in a row).

However yesterday there was nothing wrong until after me and my boyfriend had sex, more foreplay really but you get the jist (sorry for tmi) and was fine then after about 20 minutes I went home and it was like my period has started. I've never had any kind of bleeding after or during sex but I'm now worried it could mean something? I didn't take my pill last night as I thought I might aswell start my break early..

What would you do? There is no bleeding today and it wasn't for all of last night, maybe just for a few hours then nothing much.

I'm so scared as I over think things massively! Should I call th docs or nurse and see what she says??

whatevva Tue 12-Jan-16 11:04:14

I think it is more likely to be the result of going back to back. Have you done this before, and have you been on the microgynon for long?

Shortandsweet20 Tue 12-Jan-16 11:12:02

I've done it before and had no problems other than being a little bit emotional/moody during the last few days, I suppose that's a build up of hormones?
And I've been on it for about 2 years now maybe just under that.
Today I've just got slight stomach ache so not sure if it's just an early period? I think it just worried me as it happened after sex?

whatevva Tue 12-Jan-16 11:32:48

I have had breakthrough bleeding after sex with hormonal stuff (pill for years and on hrt now). I think it just tips the balance when you are about to bleed sometimes. Maybe there was a bit of build up of lining with using the packs back to back this time?

If it goes on to be a period, I wouldn't worry, but keep an eye out and if it happens again, especially mid-cycle, then see the nurse/doctor about it.

Shortandsweet20 Tue 12-Jan-16 11:49:02

Thank you so much! Feeling a lot better now, will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thank you smile

whatevva Tue 12-Jan-16 12:10:03

Glad to help.

I have found that breakthrough bleeding is more likely towards the end of a pack, especially if you have taken any pills a bit late. It helps to take them at the same time each day if you can.

It is also worth being up to date with smears etc, not because of cancer, but because the nurse can tell you if you have anything like a cervical erosion or polyp which may cause bleeding sometimes, so you know what is going on (these are not serious but can be treated if they are a nuisance). It keeps the mind at ease, and is one less thing to follow up if you have to go to the doctor.

Keep smiling smile

Lottapianos Tue 12-Jan-16 12:15:37

Hi OP, I have cervical erosion and often experience bleeding after sex. I've been on the pill for years and CE is a common side effect apparently. Its no big deal at all - apparently it just means that some of the really fragile uterine cells have made their way down as far as the cervix. Light bleeding after sex is the only symptom I have. A nurse could diagnose for you during a smear or similar exam

Shortandsweet20 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:19:23

I haven't had a smear yet as I'm only 21 so I think it's 25 when you're allowed to have it done? But if the nurse wanted to do something I'd go for it for peace of mind!

Because I started my break early do I need to start my pill again on 7 days so next Monday or is it Saturday because of the 21 days? It's all a bit technical at times :P

Shortandsweet20 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:20:06

Thanks Lottapianos, I've never heard of that before but reassuring! Will mention it to the nurse if I need to see her smile thanks a lot!

whatevva Tue 12-Jan-16 13:25:17

Don't leave longer than the 7 day break. Your own hormones will build up and this could lead to ovulation. The first 7 pills are the most important for preventing ovulation.

specialsubject Tue 12-Jan-16 18:02:44

you've now missed a pill so condoms for a week please.

packs need to be finished, even if you start another one straight away.

Shortandsweet20 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:12:21

Okay, so start my pill again on Monday (a week after I stopped it - last one was on Sunday) then 7 days until it is effective again?

specialsubject Tue 12-Jan-16 19:43:46

no idea. See what the instructions say about a missed pill, if in doubt phone surgery for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now