Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Postpartum hairloss still going on after 18 months - this doesn't seem normal?

(7 Posts)
Plateofcrumbs Thu 07-Jan-16 21:16:44

I experienced a lot of hair loss some weeks after giving birth which lasted a few months - pretty standard stuff. All calmed down, started regrowing. After I finished breastfeeding / periods returned when baby about 12 months it seemed to kick off again. I'm now 18 months postpartum and I am still losing excessive amounts of hair.

I have very thick hair so it's not noticeable, but it concerning me a bit as I'm wondering what the underlying cause could be.

BloodyBloods Thu 07-Jan-16 21:36:37

Go and get your iron and thyroid checked at the GP.

VocationalGoat Thu 07-Jan-16 21:43:23

18 months is drawn out. My youngest is 19 months and it was funny, my husband said to me yesterday that he really noticed how lovely and thick my locks are again (he ignored the major strands of grey, thankfully... LOADS of greys).
So yes, your hair should be back to its healthy, fuller self.
BloodyBloods is spot on... get a full blood count. Anaemia, thyroid disorders (dry, dehydrated, tired looking complexion and hair loss is a main sign of a thyroid disorder- this does not mean you have one, but get checked out), and B12 deficiency can all cause hair loss.
Make sure your GP orders a T3 uptake (aka free T3), T4 uptake as well as the TSH. TSH on its own is usually not enough. Get a full thyroid panel done. How are you feeling otherwise?

Plateofcrumbs Fri 08-Jan-16 08:34:43

I feel fine, look fine - not run down, no more tired than you'd expect, doing plenty of exercise - really no other symptoms other than the hair loss. I did think about iron or thyroid but I don't think I have the other symptoms you'd expect.

Strangely when I lost hair initially postpartum it was all from round my crown, whereas now it's all coming out round the back of my head.

Clarella Sat 09-Jan-16 21:11:40

I think post partum hair loss is like male pattern baldness and around the crown. Other things like thyroid are diffuse. If you were / are bf you need more vit d so it could be worth checking, and always worth checking thyroid if post partum. If patchy I wonder if it's a type of alopecia?

Not unreasonable to check with GP though.

Haggisfish Sat 09-Jan-16 21:14:04

Thyroid and anaemia most likely suspects.

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 09-Jan-16 22:52:54

YY to GP visit for bloods. I'm currently waiting on my results but GP says he took them to check potential iron deficiency and thyroid function.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now