Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Generally unwell - AD the cause?

(14 Posts)
JustAnotherYellowBelly Mon 04-Jan-16 12:23:40

I've been quite ill since October time. I seem to pick up everything going and come down with it really hard. I've even had tonsillitis for the first time in my life!
The doctor started upping my AD dose mid October and am now on the top dose of that particular tablet.
She signed me off sick for 4 weeks and I'm due to go back at the end of this week. She did a blood test just before Christmas which came back normal (full blood count, liver function, vit D and B12 etc).
And I've just come down with another bloody cold (constant temp flux, proper cough, joint aches etc.)
Is it worth going back to the doctor? If so, what should I ask for? If not, how can I get rid of this cold fast?

JustAnotherYellowBelly Mon 04-Jan-16 14:02:55

Just phoned the doctor and she isn't in until Thursday sad

buckingfrolicks Mon 04-Jan-16 21:48:18

crickey that sounds horrible, it is so distressing to have just one thing after another.

I take ADs and they've never made me prone to infections. I imagine it's something else - lack of vitamins or something. There are some threads about the wonders of B12 and how the test for this is set 'too low' so when they say 'your B12 is fine' it actually isn't, because the bar is set so low,

So have a look at eg www.b12deficiency.info/misdiagnosis/

dontrunwithscissors Tue 05-Jan-16 09:48:46

In my experience, GPs are too quick to blame problems on mental illness if they can't find an immediate reason for them. I've had a similar problem: crushing fatigue, hair loss, heart palpitations. My GP ignored the physical aymptoms and said it was depression. (I have bipolar and see a psych for this--on a ton of meds.). It's taken nine months of fatigue, hair loss, dizziness, fainting, breathlessness and heart palpitations for her to diagnose Aneamia. I had a ferritin level of 5 (last test was two years ago & it was 131/).

I know you've been checked for some stuff, but I would suggest you push for any other possible problems before figuring it's all 'mental.'

JustAnotherYellowBelly Tue 05-Jan-16 11:00:50

See, that's my problem. I feel as though I am crazy because of all this.
The best one was the tooth abscess which made my face swell up (talking, really bad, disfiguring swelling). I still can't feel 100% of my face and that was 3 weeks ago.
The problem I have is, if I go to the doctors, what do I say? I have a cold and a rash on my wrist/hand? I'd feel a fraud.

dippydeedoo Tue 05-Jan-16 11:08:32

I was the same when i first started to take my ads i had massive cold sores,colds,flu type stuff,headaches,aches a huge patch in my mouth that caused huge concern for the dentist etc etc,now im relatively ok.....i think depression and mental health creeps up on you and you get very low very quickly making you poorly easier ....the best piece of advice i was given was to treat myself as i would a small child,take naps,eat nice foods,have fresh air,wrap up warm,reward myself for stuff i found hard to do buthave to do and if i enjoy doing something to do it even if its as much as resting in the afternoon with a dvd.and just generally be kind to myself x

JustAnotherYellowBelly Tue 05-Jan-16 11:15:36

I've been on the min dose of them for years and years. She upped them slowly but I still had side effects.
I think I may try the "child" thing. It's just when you have people around that you have to do stuff for... Urgh.
And thank you for the info on B12, I think that might be worth chasing up.

JustAnotherYellowBelly Wed 06-Jan-16 12:29:15

Well now I'm just panicking about work. It feels as though nothing's ever going to get sorted and that I'm going back to fight dragons when I really just need to snuggle on the sofa.
If I get a doctors appointment tomorrow, I still don't know what to say or do, my brain is just brain fog because of the panic.
Anyone got any advice?

Clarella Wed 06-Jan-16 22:08:07

I'd ask for the print out of the tests and see if you could improve any if them your self (eg if vit d in lower range but ok, take extra to boost up)

Has thyroid been tested?

I will say the bugs around this year and last couple of years are brutal. There seems to be a lot of scarlet fever about which causes tonsillitis and some appalling coughs going around too. I'm a teacher and have never caught such bad things as in the last could of years.

Clarella Wed 06-Jan-16 22:08:57

Which AD?

JustAnotherYellowBelly Wed 06-Jan-16 22:14:30

Thyroid tested too and apparently all normal...

Fluoxetine

JustAnotherYellowBelly Thu 07-Jan-16 08:32:52

Hopefully I can get in the doctors today... Hopefully...
My throat is burning

JustAnotherYellowBelly Thu 07-Jan-16 08:36:22

Anyone have any tips on how to eat an ice lolly when you have incredibly sensitive teeth?

JustAnotherYellowBelly Thu 07-Jan-16 09:59:51

I got in the doctors.
Wish me luck and if anyone has any more ideas please let me know...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now