Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dupuytren's contracture surgery - any experience and advice please

(6 Posts)
TeamEponine Mon 04-Jan-16 08:37:54

My DH is having surgery next week for Dupuytren's contracture. We have been told very little other than it is day surgery, he will need physio and 4-6 weeks off work.

Does anyone have any experience with this op so that we have a vague idea what to expect? Any advice for recovery?

I'm also worrying about things like what clothes he will be able to wear, foods that can be prepared and eaten one handed. Any practical advice would be great.

TIA

arewethereyet55 Mon 04-Jan-16 09:14:18

Worry not, i know 2 people that have had this procedure, one was nhs and the other private. Both had excellant results. All i can say is that with any surgical procedure that he needs to keep his wound clean and dry. And you'll probably need to cut his food up into bitesize pieces until he can manage to cut it up himself. Clothes wise i think anything goes but on the day a button up shirt would be best as he'll be able to put his bad hand through the sleeve first so save on discomfort. Hope that helps. Good luck.

TeamEponine Mon 04-Jan-16 14:25:25

Thanks. That is reassuring.

Any idea how long it was before the operated on hand can be used again? Not at all concerned about having to do all the nappy changing!!!

arewethereyet55 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:19:17

I think between 1-2 weeks if he looks after his hand, hopefully it'll be quicker. Its only a tiny incision but it takes an age to heal up properly if he doesn't keep it ever so rigid ie because the hand flexes constantly the wound keeps opening up. My DF had the operation in France (privately) and he managed to drive back home to Notts ok without any issue. He's over the moon that he had it done, its made such a massive difference as it had been getting on his nerves for many years. Every time he washed his face his finger would go up his nose. So when your DH is all healed up nicely they'll be no excuse to not change any nappies. He could always wear a latex glove on his bad hand to change the nappies to keep the bandage/plaster clean. Another thing i was thinking about re clothes was for him to wear jogging bottoms or trousers without buttons and zips. If i think of anything else i'll post on here.

BooksAsGarden Tue 05-Jan-16 00:56:36

Hi,
Who is doing the OP?
Hope it will be a hand surgeon...

TeamEponine Tue 05-Jan-16 08:31:32

Argh, just lost my long reply!

Thanks arewe. Great to hear such positive stuff about recovery, and thanks for the hints.

Yes, op will be done by expert surgeon. We had a choice of a few hospitals, so looked into it a fair amount!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now