Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Geographic tongue

(13 Posts)
SuperMum84 Wed 30-Dec-15 00:39:01

Wow it's been a long night.

My daughter was diagnosed with this a couple of years ago, it re occurs every year, pain relief does nothing, toothpaste makes it worse, as does milk. She's only 9 😪

Does anyone else suffer with this?

TheHouseOnTheLane Wed 30-Dec-15 09:18:03

I have it and have had since I was about 6 or 7...but I forgot until you mentioned it! I'm 43 now and though I get the signs now and then, it's been more or less gone since my 30s.

It only hurt for a while...after I was first diagnosed. I had some Bonjella like stuff...did they not give her anything?

Mine wasn't massively upsetting....maybe it varies...and your DD got the severe type...mine looked bad but only hurt a bit.

Marshy Thu 31-Dec-15 19:35:11

I had this as an adult. Saw GPS. He said nothing he could do, just one of those things, you're a bit run down.

Maybe attend to the basics over 3 months and review? Healthy sleep, diet and exercise plus have some fun times. That regime helps most things.

Marshy Thu 31-Dec-15 19:36:47

Not GPS obviously - GPS. I have a new phone and it's a pita

Marshy Thu 31-Dec-15 19:38:06

Oh ffs! It's done it again! GP. .....

Mrsmorton Thu 31-Dec-15 19:38:43

Have you seen your dentist? A prescription of sls free toothpaste can help as can some difflam rinse which is a mild local anaesthetic.

Meeep Thu 31-Dec-15 19:44:18

I have been worse with it if I've been anaemic. Might be a coincidence but maybe worth getting some iron supplements / multi vitamins?

Chocqueen99 Sat 02-Jan-16 16:34:11

Mrsmorton im looking for some sls free toothpaste but I can't really find one? I know sensodyne do one but a lot of the packaging is the same. Can you help

Mrsmorton Sat 02-Jan-16 17:33:00

Corsodyl toothpaste is AFAIR and sensodyne daily care. You can get duraphat toothpaste but it's prescription only (for now at least). Oranurse is SLS free but not that easy to come by.

Please make sure you use a toothpaste with fluoride in though. We had a patient recently with about six new cavities. The only change in his routine was using aloe Vera toothpaste.

Chocqueen99 Sat 02-Jan-16 18:02:16

Thanks you! Oh yes I know I need a fluoride one I will see what I can find.

Mrsmorton Sat 02-Jan-16 18:37:07

Fab. Happy to answer any questions as best I can!

GreenGoose21 Sat 02-Jan-16 22:44:40

Hi, just so you know it's Sensodyne Pronamel that is sls free. You can get it in most supermarkets. ..its been a sanity saver for me as not only do I get bouts of G T but monthly mouth and tongue ulcers for hormonal reasons.

Boltonlass1972 Sat 02-Jan-16 22:48:30

My husband has this and reacts to chilli flavored things, citrus fruits and tart red berries. Vitamin B is good.. But obviously for a 9 year old it would have to be a child's multi vit with the appropriate RDA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now