Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Costochronditus

(4 Posts)
PanickyTack Tue 29-Dec-15 11:44:50

I would really appreciate any support and/or advice for this. After being taken to Hospital three times for a suspected Heart Attact I have now been given the above diagnosis.
I still have constant pain in my chest and down my left arm
I have been suffering for three weeks and it shows no signs of getting better.
I am panicking that there has been a mis-diagnosis and that I have Heart problems or lung problems etc. I'm driving myself crazy thinking I'm dying.
Any advice or support would be gratefully received.

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 12:45:06

You need to take something anti-inflammatory so that the swelling goes down (your doctor should be able to prescribe).

Be assured, it will go away. I have had it before and it is very uncomfortable.

Also speak to your doctor about whether or not you can exercise before the swelling goes down. There might be Pilates type exercises that will help reduce the swelling and pain or it may be better not to exercise at all.

Good luck, and get well soon.

peacypops Tue 29-Dec-15 17:23:21

I was diagnosed with costo several months ago and unfortunately I am still suffering as there has been no improvement. I tried anti-inflammatories but unfortunately they didn't help. It is definitely worth giving them a go though. You could also try an ice compress on the affected area as this may help relieve the pain. For many people the condition does disappear within a few weeks although for others it can be more long term. I am at the point of considering things such as osteopathy and acupuncture. I do sympathise as it is truly horrible and does often leave you thinking that it is something much more serious. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get on x

Badders123 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:13:31

It's grim and very painful
I would suggest staggered codiene containing meds with ibuprofen
If the pain is very bad then go to your gp and ask for stronger stuff.
Nefapam is good as is tramadol
Hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now