Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

help regarding cocodamol

(22 Posts)
Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:07:47

Hi due to a really awful cough which set off my spd I've been stupidly taking 2 cocodamol a night to help with the cough and hips and sleep!

Probably for 2 weeks now, no break. 8mg only.

I took just one last night and today have cold sweats and feel drowsy.

I don't know if it's still the cough as its bad at times with fluid etc. (Been going on for 5/6 weeks now. Had antibiotics then chest X-ray on 14th Dec but started to feel worse after X-ray, think caught anther infection. X-ray was clear on 23rd and I didn't bother going to GP)

Could it be mild withdrawal?

I plan to carry on taking 1 tablet at night for a couple of nights. Or just try cold turkey? It's not much but I think I'm sensitive.

lazymoz Mon 28-Dec-15 12:09:45

I think it sounds like you need to take another course of antibiotics to clear your chest

PositivePete Mon 28-Dec-15 12:14:01

Mild withdrawal. Should only take max 3 days of 2x Pills even if 8mg.

I was like this once with Syndol (don't think they still sell it!!)

Go cold turkey, it won't last long. I promise. smile

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:28:11

Hmm. Maybe I should annoy check with GP again. I'm thinking chest is not clear so it could be partly that. And discuss the cocodamol.

I think I've taken it for 4-5 days before and not felt like this. But that's different to 2 weeks!

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:28:56

Thanks positive, any idea how long?

Cough is not helping matters.

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:31:35

Lazy, second GP was reluctant to give second antibiotics till chest X-ray. But that took 10 in total for results to get back. And I got worse AFTER the X-ray, though I'm slightly better now.

Though now FEEL utter shit.

So between the woods and trees I can't bloody work out what symptoms could be!!

Coughing up nasty tasting stuff and it's a bit crackly. I just feel I've been bothering them a lot!!!

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:31:50

10 days in total.

PositivePete Mon 28-Dec-15 12:36:51

I promise the cough will also go, it's best to let your body fight it, I had a similar thing with a nasty throat infection & was taking ibuprofen 4 times a day 400mg each time. Ended up with stomach ulcer!!!!!! After 3 rounds of antibiotics the bloody throat infection was still there.

Get as much water, fennel tea, healthy food (I'm not a one for vitamins & shit) in you. Your body will mend.

Stop the codeine. It will take 3 days max & you'll be ok. But get flushing it out your system.

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:41:19

Thanks positive.

I'll see how cough is tomorrow morning and thru the night. I'd rather fight it but I was in an awful situation 2 years ago where it led to pneumonia.

Not wanting to drip feed I'm recovering from a lot of thyroid and joint issues creating CFs type symptoms, and had been struggling. Just worried about work next week and not going backwards.

At same time GP unlikely to give anything anyway!

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 12:41:56

Sitting with large herbal tea right now!!

PositivePete Mon 28-Dec-15 13:09:05

You poor thing & yes sounds like you have low immune system also.

The bloody problem with codeine is it actually stops taking effect anyway so you need more .... vicious cycle blah blah.

Speedy recovery, look after yourself

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 13:18:01

Thanks.

I'm trying to work unfortunately, not well! At home at least.

I'm contemplating going for a jog to shift both phlem and get my circulation going!

PositivePete Mon 28-Dec-15 13:29:51

Brisk walk! Don't over exert yourself

Maiziemonkey Mon 28-Dec-15 14:35:29

I think the 3day rule is to protect us from getting dependant on something but please don't worry , with sensible use long term medication with codeine is not a problem. I have recently stopped taking it after several years (have chronic pain) I also had to take it for moderately severe spd in pregnancy as I couldn't take anything else. Obviously it is possible you have mild withdrawal as you haven't had it much before and all bodies are different but it is unlikely with the low dose given otc. More probably linked to your present illness or another on the way, I have found when immune system is low you can get more than one illness as you are weakened. Also codeine helps coughs. The CFS like feelings are a bit concerning- tell your doc everything and get properly checked over as its better to try to nip things. Like this in the bud. I struggled on for age with a lot of chronic pain and now have been dx ed with fibromyalgia( similar mechanism to CFS they think) and I think sometimes with multiple illness and stress you can be at risk for developing something like that so a conservative approach is advisable. Not wanting to worry you as I'm sure you'll feel better in a few days but just mindful you get the full proper looking over you need and obis my experience is top of mind. Hth and feel better soon

Maiziemonkey Mon 28-Dec-15 14:37:54

Sometimes the usual best practice of fighting it is not the best thing for one if you have issues like thyroid and maybe others that are putting you under a lot of stress. Tough to know what to do but listen to your body- maybe you need some time off work to get over this? It's your decision of courts, u know yourself best 😐

Clarella Mon 28-Dec-15 15:15:00

Thankyou maizie, that is very thoughtful. I'm so sorry you've been through so much.

Sorry to give a back story drip.

I am definitely recovering from the thyroid issues/ CFS issues. Ironically started feeling a lot better as I came down with this illness 5-6 weeks ago. I was starting to question fibromyalgia but I think we can say it's just taken an awful long time to recover from the thyroid stuff and I became extremely weak. I was also on sertaline and GP and I simply don't know if that affected things (definitely did thyroid wise as can alter how much thyroxine you need) as it lists muscle issues in side effects.

I was put in far too much thyroxine for 3-4 months after too little last year and I was so weak I think it just really caused havoc. I'm very skinny. I was also tested for Addison's disease - clear, but I'm not sure doubling my cortisol was too great at that time! I was told I have hypermobilotjy syndrome too, though that's improving month by month; just Lower back / si joint issues. I now believe it was all issues with thyroid meds post baby, having a baby, an trying too hard to pretend I wasn't in huge amounts of pain / weak. My ferritin was a bit low and vit d very slightly. Both are now up.

I believe I am actually right now fit regarding muscles, joints etc. And better when I can get back into swimming etc. I just managed a 15 min jog and didn't get out of breath or cough actually. I think it's just crap in my chest now. The inflammation is going and I'm not getting the coughing fits.

I will admit I've been panicking about work (teacher) as we are under a lot of pressure (ofsted looming). However I think I'm at a point where I need to plough on. I was off most of last year. Mind you my GP knows I was struggling last term before this cough.

But thank you both for your advice. I'm thinking it must be the codeine, which I'm surprised about. Clearly if cough is worse tonight I will go to GP but I'd have thought a jog wouldn't have been possible.

Maiziemonkey Tue 29-Dec-15 01:23:46

That's really positive you could have a jog, hope the next few weeks are all on the up for you. Teachers are awesome so power to you and I hear it can be extremely rewarding to teach, although also very hard work time wise and the energy you are giving to them. What age and subject do you teach? Best of luck 😌

Clarella Tue 29-Dec-15 07:59:04

Yes, I was thinking I'm beating this, though I had awful coughing attacks in the evening. None over night but rather loud rasping today.

No sweats though.

I might ask GP if an inhaler might help if he doesn't think more antibiotics will. Getting miserable now!

I teach Sen and after this last year can currently only cope with two days. I normally love it though there's some issues with staff in one class which are making it very difficult.

Clarella Tue 29-Dec-15 14:56:21

GP did say can still hear 'stuff' on my chest but agreed to see how it went and come back in a month (or sooner if v poorly) to check the noise had definitely gone.

I think the antibiotics I had were very good ones as allergic to penicillin.

Still sweats might have been the virus actually. None today but feel grotty, however I'm going to stay off the cocodamol!

PositivePete Mon 04-Jan-16 20:49:13

How you feeling?

Bonkerz Mon 04-Jan-16 20:58:26

I've been taking co codamol now for nearly 6 weeks. I sometimes take 4 in a day sometimes just 2 and try and make sure I have Atleast 2 days a week where I take none. Got a little worried about it and went docs last week who said it was fine if I could manage none some days!

Clarella Mon 04-Jan-16 21:03:28

Hi, thank you for asking! Cough still annoying but feeling better in myself - no cocodamol. Sweats only lasted a day or so if it was that.

However I have taken a dose tonight to help chest blush and my now bad back- but strictly with the appropriate spaces as per the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now