Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Royal Brompton - ECMO - anyone had any experience of this.

(3 Posts)
IrianofWay Tue 22-Dec-15 09:04:56

A friend of ours was sent their last night after 4 days of sedation and ventilation at our local hospital. I have read the stuff on the website and it all sounds a bit alarming - last resort stuff.

Anyone had any experience? DH is besides himself (the chap is like the brother he never had sad). He had a chest infection and because he is athsmatic he was struggling to breathe hence being admitted locally - it just seemed to get worse and worse from there.

SockQueen Wed 23-Dec-15 22:47:19

I've worked briefly on an ECMO unit (not Royal Brompton). It is, as you say, last resort stuff, but it can work amazingly well, and they are experts at it. He's probably looking a long-ish ICU stay either way, which is an emotional rollercoaster for anyone involved, so do be prepared for that. Sorry I can't offer much in the way of information, but wishing you and your friend all the best. flowers

IrianofWay Thu 31-Dec-15 10:43:24

Thanks sockqueen.

He is now off the ECMO (but still in HDU). He is slowly slowly improving. DH went to visit him on 27th. Was really impressed with the care he was receiving. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now