Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cramping after copper coil fitting

(12 Posts)
leedy Mon 14-Dec-15 12:34:31

I got a copper IUD fitted last Wednesday - fitting itself was a breeze, but I've been cramping and spotting ever since, pretty badly the day after. It's easing off a little but I still basically feel like I have my period, which means I will possibly segue straight from this into my actual period. Gah.

Anyone else who has one got anything to share about how long things took to settle down after insertion? I'm really hoping this works for me as I can't do hormones, and it should last for ten years if I can get through the initial annoying bit...

MadHattersWineParty Wed 16-Dec-15 18:33:53

Two weeks. It eased off slightly the second week but the cramping the day I got it put in was horrid. It wasn't an easy insertion either, my cervix went into spasm and was clamped still, I thought I was going to throw up!

I took buscopol which is for easing of IBS cramps apparently and that did help.

I do find that my normal period cramps are ever so slightly worse each month (sorry)

I can't take the pill for education reasons although I would rather go back to it given the option.

MadHattersWineParty Wed 16-Dec-15 18:34:07

Education?! Medical reasons!!

leedy Thu 17-Dec-15 13:29:40

Thanks! (I also can't take the pill for medical reasons, or, as I will now refer to it, "educational reasons"... smile )

I'm into the second week now and it's definitely easing off a bit so I'll stick with it for now. Will also see if I can source some buscospan and/or check if it's over the counter. They used to put it in Feminax before they reformulated it, IIRC.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 17-Dec-15 13:32:15

You can get buscopol (might be buscopan) off the shelves at Boots.

Glad it's easing off a bit!

leedy Thu 17-Dec-15 13:33:05

Grrr, Buscopan is prescription-only here in Ireland. Might get my sister to bring some over from the UK.

I was weirdly enough prescribed it before for something to do with my lungs, but I don't think I have any left...

MadHattersWineParty Thu 17-Dec-15 13:35:29

Ah no, that's so annoying!

leedy Thu 17-Dec-15 15:12:37

I know! As is my discovery that exercising seems to make the cramps come back temporarily afterwards. Stupid tetchy uterus.

PollyPerky Thu 17-Dec-15 15:28:27

I had the same then bleeding for 3 weeks which then morphed into a period. The bleeding- light didn't stop. In the end I decided to get the damned thing out and went to the FPC pronto where the dr said it was 'half expelled'. great. My dr had found it hard to insert and I reckon it was never in place properly or my body just didn't like it.

leedy Thu 17-Dec-15 15:56:03

Yeah, I'm going to see how it is after my period - I'm only just over a week in, and the spotting is definitely reducing.

As I said, mine wasn't particularly hard to get in (though slightly ouchy going past my section scar) and the woman who did it actual gives training on coil fitting, so I'm assuming she put it in right...

MadHattersWineParty Thu 17-Dec-15 18:40:35

Ugh I missed my 'check' to see if it's in right... I'm assuming it is because it's been 7 months and I'm not with child and my partner and I are ahem, making the most of having our own place and no longer house sharing so it must be working blush

I really do find the cramps are worse around my period, as if my body suddenly remembers it's there and tries to push the damn thing out (that's what it feels like)

Apparently some women are very unlucky with pain when it's put in and for some it's a breeze.

I'd say I have got quite a high pain threshold and was very quiet and contained even when I 'birthed' a kidney stone but that coil being put in was like a red hot poker up my uterus and I just yelped horribly loudly, I didn't expect it to feel like that.

leedy Tue 05-Jan-16 14:10:43

UPDATE: Cramps and spotting went on for about two weeks, and my period was HELLACIOUS. Currently however, I am not having my period, have no cramps, no spotting, and am pretty happy with the thing. We'll see if the evil periods settle down...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now