Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gall stones

(16 Posts)
Wendyjayb Sun 13-Dec-15 20:43:58

Has anyone had any experience with these?
I had an ultrasound on Friday and was told i have them. This explains all the pain i've been in over the last few months.

I'm seeing the consultant on Friday, what should i expect? x

MrsRonBurgundy Sun 13-Dec-15 20:46:49

I have had them! I had them for 6 months and they got worse and worse. I had a particularly painful episode which led to me being hospitalised becauee the pain made me pas out and my liver function was being affected when they did my bloods. They whipped my gallbladder out on that admission and it was the BEST decision in my opinion. Pain free since then and recovery was very quick!!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 13-Dec-15 20:50:29

i met the consultant who didn't even examine me. just said those are coming out.

just insist they take them out. thats all.

worst pain ever

Wendyjayb Sun 13-Dec-15 21:09:39

Thats what im hoping, the pains horrendous so just want rid!

MrsRonBurgundy Sun 13-Dec-15 21:12:29

Are they removing the stones or the whole gallbladder? I'd push for the whole gallbladder out if possible. Or else more gallstones can form and cause the same pin again I believe

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 13-Dec-15 21:15:22

Make small incisions, out in a couple of days.
Back to normal in no time.

Do not eat anything with fat in, it makes it worse, drink apple juice, avoid milk other than soya.

SparklesandBangs Sun 13-Dec-15 21:16:27

Agree that the best hope is a removal (had mine done it was painful, but so worth it)

In the meantime you need to eat a very low fat, plain diet which should help to keep the attacks at bay

snozzlemaid Sun 13-Dec-15 21:29:52

Lucky you seeing a consultant so quickly. I had my ultrasound in October and I'm not seeing the consultant until January. Not looking forward to Christmas. I either have a shit time eating nothing nice or I indulge and end up in pain.

FreeWorker1 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:33:17

Don't be fobbed off. There is no option. Have the gallbladder removed ASAP.

Doctors often recommend 'managing' the symptoms.

It doesn't work. Your life will be hell until it is out.

My mother managed her gall stones for 2 years and ended up in A&E. Her gall bladder nearly burst.

snozzlemaid Wed 06-Jan-16 16:11:08

Saw the surgeon today who said straight away that my gall bladder needs to be removed.
I was ready to have to fight my case but had no battle. He said it's not something that will go away and could get much worse so it was the only recommendation.
I can't wait to get rid of it.

GeraldineFangedVagine Wed 06-Jan-16 20:08:59

I just had my gallbladder out today! I've had six months of pain with them, lost 45lb and had three hospital stays. Push for a removal when you see the consultant. I had my op at 8.30 this am and home by 4pm. Pain not too bad. Good luck op!

IceLemonGin Thu 07-Jan-16 11:08:07

Hope you don't mind me following OP. I had gallstones confirmed in a scan in early December, I've got a consultant appt in 2 weeks. Hopefully it wont be a long wait for either of us to get it removed!

snozzlemaid Thu 07-Jan-16 18:09:29

Hope you're feeling ok today Geraldine.
My consultant said yesterday that I will hopefully get mine removed somewhere around Easter. He said it will be keyhole, day surgery. So home the same day like you Geraldine.
I'm actually looking forward to getting it done weirdly. Will be great to be pain free and will quite enjoy a few days off work. Would like to have time to do some serious reading.

GeraldineFangedVagine Thu 07-Jan-16 19:19:57

Well, I've been pretty sick today and still a bit scared of eating but apart from that ok. You will feel much better after its out. I don't have the constant gnawing pain under my ribs now.

snozzlemaid Thu 07-Jan-16 19:28:35

Aw, sorry to hear you've not been feeling great today. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

GeraldineFangedVagine Thu 07-Jan-16 19:30:16

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now