Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

freaking out about mole

(4 Posts)
maybebabybee Tue 08-Dec-15 14:00:58

mole on my back, not sure how long it's been there as I am really moley so I can't keep track of them all. I noticed it was a bit weird looking back in September so went to the GP about it. She agreed it looked slightly atypical but thought that was due to the fact that I have eczema growing over it. She said to come back if it changed.

It hasn't changed at all or got bigger but I am worrying about it anyway. It's normal sized, symmetrical, not really raised, no jagged edges, all one colour but the thing that makes it stand out is it looks so different to every other mole I have....the rest of them are either flat freckle type things or the big warty hairy pale kind.

I have booked to go back to GP for a second opinion but I am worrying. I suffer from anxiety anyway so stuff like this always makes me tailspin.

I also burnt my shoulder badly last summer and have had a bunch of flat freckles pop up there too which are also freaking me out.

BugPlaster Tue 08-Dec-15 14:06:44

My husband has one raised, funny textured mole and he got it checked - it was fine, it was just a different kind of mole. This isn't very scientific but point being, it was fine.
I recently had breast changes checked out and waiting for the appointment at hospital was a very anxious time. Again it turned out fine. Anxiety is extremely hard to control but taking control by making the appointment with your GP was the best practical step you could take. Do you have ways of calming yourself, people you can see/talk to?

maybebabybee Tue 08-Dec-15 14:18:14

bug I suspect it's the same with mine. Especially as GP said she thought it was fine. But then I read all these scare stories about GPs missing things and diseases getting advanced.

I know it's totally irrational.

I've tried loads in relation to anxiety including CBT, medication, mindfulness...nothing really works for me long term.

lljkk Tue 08-Dec-15 14:21:54

I am moley & get new ones fairly frequently. I've been like that for 48 yrs. The most interesting ones get crusty & peel off after a while.

What's bothering you isn't really the mole, though, is it? It's your worries. Sorry I can't help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now