Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What the flip is wrong with my toenail? (gross picture attached)

(8 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Sun 15-Nov-15 10:24:39

It's been like it for a while and I've kind of been ignoring it in the hope it'll sort itself out. It's really itchy underneath my toe and skin is coming offunder my toe as well.

Can I just get something from the chemist? Or do I need to see a doctor? Or a chiropodist?

TweenageAngst Sun 15-Nov-15 10:26:55

Fungal infection. You can by treatment in Boots.

Seriouslyffs Sun 15-Nov-15 10:52:46

Chiropodist. Apparently the topical treatment from the pharmacist doesn't work and the GP will prescribe magazine toxic tablets (you can't drink on them) but the chiropodist can file them down and advise on a less strong route.

Seriouslyffs Sun 15-Nov-15 10:53:37

Magazine? confused
No idea what that should be!

CorBlimeyTrousers Sun 15-Nov-15 11:01:31

I used Curanail when I had a manky thumb nail and it worked. Took a while though.

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 15-Nov-15 14:32:12

So it might be fungal? Nice. I did half heartedly wonder if this was what it was a while back but then noticed the treatment was £20 in the chemist so carried on ignoring it blush

I'll try Boots first and then chiropodist. Are chiropodists expensive?

WhatchaMaCalllit Sun 15-Nov-15 14:40:36

Fungal nail infection.

Lamasil (think that's the name of it) should help. Doesn't cost too much. Can't believe you'd let it get to this stage without doing something....anything about it.

Think of all the sandals and open toe shoes that you wont be able to wear until you get this sorted....

Bovnydazzler Mon 16-Nov-15 08:06:39

Probably fungal.

I had a horrible big toenail for approx 8 years, over the counter (expensive!) curanail barely touched it. Only thing that worked was doctor prescribing drug (the 'sledgehammer to crack a nit' one). I'm glad he did though, for the past 10 years since I had it, no embarrassment about wearing sandals, going barefoot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now