Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fatigue Following Surgery and Infections

(4 Posts)
Ilovefluffysheep Sat 07-Nov-15 14:46:39

The last 3 months has been pretty hardcore for my body. I've had very serious surgery (bladder removal and new one formed), a minor surgery, then another quite major surgery 2 weeks ago (connected to first).

6 weeks after first surgery I had a UTI which was then classed as sepsis, and I was in hospital for a week.

After this most recent surgery I was unfortunate enough to get c diff, so was in hospital for 2 weeks, and only escaped on Monday.

Am also anaemic - I'm told my level is 9.8 when it should be 12-15 (I had a blood transfusion during my first major surgery as lost a lot of blood), after release GP did a test and level was 8, so it is slowly going up.

I've lost a load of hair - literally handfuls coming out over a period of about 3 weeks. Much thinner now but has stopped.

Anyway, main thing is, I'm just exhausted. I know I've been through a lot and tiredness to be expected. But this last week since coming out of hospital I have been pretty much in bed. I've managed 2 showers since Monday, and 1-2 hours for the lats 3 days or so sitting in a chair before I need to go back to bed. I surf on my ipad during the day, and even that tires me out, I frequently have to put it down so I can have a nap.

House is a tip and kids are feeding themselves (crap!). They are 17 and 16. I have no partner so just the 3 of us.

When can I expect some of this fatigue to lift? Its driving me crazy.

amarmai Sat 07-Nov-15 17:45:25

please ask if you can have vit injections , specifically B and C as they are know to help patients before and after surgery to heal.

Fizrim Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:20

That is a lot to deal with! The anaemia won't be helping with the tiredness, and I've always found that I am shattered for a few weeks after a GA. I'd nap as much as you can.

Hope it lifts for you soon.

Ilovefluffysheep Sun 08-Nov-15 19:26:14

Thank you. District Nurse hopes it will start to lift soon, but did suggest that chronic fatigue isn't too unusual after major surgery. I guess I'll just see how things go over next couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now