Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stupid Doctor!!

(11 Posts)
Pebble19 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:21:55

I have a pain in my appendix scar so when i went to my doctors, he prescribed me a gel called ibuleve or something.

The pharmacist told me that he shouldn't have prescribed it as it hasn't been tested on pregnant women... Which would of course be awful to even suggest.

It says on the label that it's potentially harmful to unborn children. The doctor should have known that and it really irritates me. If my pharmacist hadn't checked for me, my little girl could have been at risk. Yet another reason why I'm moving surgeries. So annoyed.

Sorry, I just needed to rant grin

PotteringAlong Sat 24-Oct-15 20:24:48

Your baby would not have been at risk. There are very very few medicines that have been tested as safe for pregnant women because to do drug trials of those would be an ethical nightmare. It doesn't mean that it's actually unsafe.

VocationalGoat Sat 24-Oct-15 20:27:04

It's an ibuprofen gel. Ibuprofen and pregnancy don't mix. I'd really approach your GP. He/she ought to know not to make this mistake.
Silly question but does the GP know you're pregnant?

Lyndie Sat 24-Oct-15 20:28:06

But it's topical, and not absorbed systemically.

VocationalGoat Sat 24-Oct-15 20:28:32

The risk is still miniscule to non existent in an ibuprofen gel but still if it clearly says don't use if pregnant or breastfeeding, you should not have been prescribed this gel. Do let GP know.

VocationalGoat Sat 24-Oct-15 20:31:55

Over a period of days, applied several times a day, yes, there would be minimal systemic absorption. Still, risk is so incredibly small. But hey, it's contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding mothers and OP should not use it.

Pebble19 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:45:25

My gp prescribed it knowing full well that I am pregnant, which is why I'm so furious. I have a low placenta as well so I'm being careful about everything - I didn't have the best start in life and was put through the care system, so I'm determined to give my daughter the best start and if I can't trust a fully qualified gp...

Thanks for the advice smile

Pebble19 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:47:27

And I did put "potentially unsafe" wink

Frazzled2207 Sat 24-Oct-15 21:45:17

ime doctors will prescribe stuff for pregnant women that otherwise say "not for use by pregnant women", the risk will be very small, and theoretical. He certainly should have explained if he thought it could be risky, or not.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Sun 25-Oct-15 13:54:29

I used to use a lot of those types of gels on my joints due to lupus and was told right away to stop as a soon as I became pregnant by many different medical people.
Worth letting your GP know?

Haggisfish Sun 25-Oct-15 13:58:48

There is a link between inuprofen and heart defects which is why it is contraindicated in pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now