Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colposcopy

(11 Posts)
Straitjacket Thu 17-Sep-15 01:42:23

Ok, so just over a week ago, I went to the doctors because I had yet again experienced bleeding after sex. Prior to this, I had had bleeding after sex over 2 months but I had blamed it on the Mirena Coil. This time though, I experienced stomach cramping which kept me up most of the night. The doctor wanted to test me for infections to just check (I have been in a relationship for 11 years but although I can say I haven't had other sexual partners, they couldn't be certain my partner hadn't. Not that I had any doubt)

Whilst doing the swabs, and the speculum being in place, she had a look and noticed "lesions" which were bleeding on my cervix. Test results have since come back clear, so definitely no infection.

She sat me down after having a look to tell me about the lesions. Drew a picture but tbh, I was sort of in a bit of a daze by that point. I asked if it was something to worry about, and she said that the fact my last smear (my only one, which was my first 6 months before I turned 24, 2 and a half years ago) came back clear is reassuring. Said I just needed cryocautery to seal the lesions which I would be referred for. I was told I would be referred via the 2 week fast track.

Yesterday, I got a letter saying my appointment is next week and I will be having a colposcopy, and possibly treatment. To say I'm confused, is an understatement!

Was hoping for anyone who may of been in this situation to talk me through it. I am trying to refrain from googling, so was hoping for some real life experiences as I don't know anyone else who has gone through this.

Thank you.

diddl Thu 17-Sep-15 10:10:37

I've had a colposcopy and at the same time laser treatment for CIN11 (moderate dysplasia)

So, not quite the same as you, but it was great to get it all over & done with in one go.

I'm a terrible wuss.

Nurse stayed at my head end, held my hand, was great.

Needed an anaesthetic for the treatment which I didn't feel at all.

Did start to get an uncomfortable period pain like feeling.

And just as that happened it was over.

I'm sure that my GP "only" referred me for a colposcopy, but the appointment was booked for colposcopy & treatment.

I'm short which may or may not be relevant & the worst part was my back being uncomfortable.

ChristineDePisan Thu 17-Sep-15 10:22:09

The colposcopy bit is the name for the examination (and the clinic at the hospital). The treatment bit is the cauterization . I would guess that they put "possible treatment" because it's a standard letter

Straitjacket Thu 17-Sep-15 11:41:05

Yes, it looked like standard information printed off to do with colposcopy and what happens next. It just seems to be happening really fast, not that I'm complaining. It's just making me panic a bit.

Thank you diddl for your experience. The letter said the liquid they use on the cervix may hurt, and then the numbing the cervix can hurt and then some women afterwards can experience pain in the pelvis after treatment, and this worried me. Not that it will stop me from going, but my partner works and I need to return back to normal after to continue looking after the kids. But your experience is reassuring, so thank you.

diddl Thu 17-Sep-15 11:48:53

I had period like pains after.

Not too bad, sort of a dragging feeling.

Some horrible bits came out, so I did feel a bit sorry for myself & just wanted to sit around with an enormous sanitary towel on!

spacechimp Thu 17-Sep-15 11:50:35

I think they often run 'see and treat' clinics, so that if there is an area that looks as though it needs removing when they carry out the colposcopy they do it there and then rather than taking a biopsy and asking you to come back for treatment depending on the result.

I had a colposcopy in 2007 after an abnormal smear, and they carried out excision treatment at the same time. As diddl says, it was good to get it over with in one go and the nurses were really kind. I didn't feel the anaesthetic, but it gave me a bit of an adrenaline rush and I felt a bit funny for a few minutes. Period pain like feeling afterwards, and then light bleeding on and off for the next couple of weeks. I had the rest of the day off work, but was ok to go back the next day. I think they say to take it easy for a couple of days afterwards but then I was back to normal. One thing though - if you do have treatment you're not supposed to have sex or go swimming for the next few weeks, so that the cervix can heal without risk of infection.

winchester1 Thu 17-Sep-15 12:02:15

Mine have been similar to others period type pain for 30secs while they opened my cervix to take the biopsy and a little period pain afterwards. Having them on my totm or just before has been a bit more painful but then much less of my normal period pain afterward which was a nice bonus. I've driven home and been fine to return to work, but I work at a desk so less physical than looking after kids.

I've had three as part of a screening program, I'm not on the UK.

Straitjacket Thu 17-Sep-15 14:23:24

Thank you so much for your experiences, it has helped to put my mind at ease.

I have a 4 year old who has recently been diagnosed ASD and can be quite difficult to handle at times. So when I read that I can't do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity, I definitely panicked about that! Once I have got the kids into school I can relax then, but being out and about with the youngest where he is worse, can be a bit of a nightmare and I don't have family nearby.

I will see how I am feeling the following day and if need be, DP will have to have the morning off work and take them into school.

Glad to hear I pretty much won't feel anything! I have the coil fitted and was fine with that so think I will be fine with the procedure.

No sex will be happening from now until in a few weeks. Letter says if you have a coil fitted, then no sex for a week before the appointment. I'm not bothered anyway as after the last time, I ended up in pain and DP is also worried after that, and doesn't want to cause me pain. So all good on that front.

With regards to swimming, I won't get my fat arse into a swimming costume anyway lol. Currently losing weight and my aim is to start going often soon but that will probably be in a few months. I'm doing kick boxing for the time being, assuming I will be ok to continue that after a few days post treatment?

Thanks again ladies flowers

Vikingprincess Thu 17-Sep-15 22:42:57

You may have what used to be called a cervical erosion- now the call it an entropion. Sometimes no treatment is required. I had one decades back(can be started by going on the Pill or pregnancy) and it was cauterised under a GA but this is now an old fashioned method.

Erosions are not serious- they are cells that line the cervix growing out onto the outer part of the cervix. As they are delicate they sometimes bleed after sex etc but they are not related to cancer or infections.

I wonder why/ if your GP didn't mention this as 'lesions' is a scary word - and it means any sort of changes that can be seen.

Vikingprincess Thu 17-Sep-15 22:44:41

Here is info about the condition

www.jostrust.org.uk/about-cervical-cancer/cervical-erosion-cervical-ectropion

Straitjacket Tue 22-Sep-15 21:40:33

Hi, thanks for the information! I have been away visiting family and haven't been back on properly!

Doctor definitely didn't mention cervical erosions. She did mention ulcers and lesions, said my cervix was red in parts and drew a picture showing where it was bleeding and where the "lesions" were. Not that I remember the picture much, as I had started to panic by this point so wasn't taking it in. I did ask if it was something to worry about, and was told that the fact my last smear came back clear is reassuring and that was that. I was then told I would be referred fast track for cryocautery and then I got the letter with my appointment.

I don't know anyone who has had a similar experience, and I really didn't want to Google. That's why I came here to try and get answers and everything that has been said has really put my mind at ease. So thank you to everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now