Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it safe to buy the acne drug 'accutane' online?

(13 Posts)
skittleboy Tue 15-Sep-15 21:05:54

I need to get accutane to treat my acne. I'm not going to do it through my doctor. I have found this website that sells it - pillstoronto.net/products/skin_care/accutane/order/

I assume it's not a legitimate website based on the fact that it does not ask for a doctors prescription. But are the tablets safe to buy and are the same as pharmacy accutane?

Thank you

rubyslippers Tue 15-Sep-15 21:07:37

I wouldn't buy this drug or any online actually

Roaccutane is a very powerful drug and an expensive one - it has significant side effects

Why won't you go through your GP? You really need to get through a dermatologist and be monitored whilst you're on it

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Tue 15-Sep-15 21:07:52

No. It isn't safe. Don't do it.

Go to your doctor

PurpleDaisies Tue 15-Sep-15 21:11:41

You'd be mad to do this. Do you honestly think a website selling prescription only drugs online is likely to be trustworthy?

The side effects of roaccutane can be really nasty which is why you need to be monitored by your GP or other medical professional.
www.nhs.uk/Medicine-Guides/pages/MedicineSideEffects.aspx?condition=Acne&medicine=roaccutane&preparation=Roaccutane%2010mg%20capsules

Be sensible and see your doctor.

OwenMeanysArmadillo Tue 15-Sep-15 21:13:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lurkingfromhome Wed 16-Sep-15 07:23:33

This is honestly one of the most irresponsible ideas I've ever heard. Are you insane? You could be buying anything at all and putting it inside you. In the unlikely event that you do get hold of the real drug, you must have read enough about it to know that it's not something you can just swallow like aspirin. There are a number of potential side effects that you need to be monitored for, plus the dosage varies. You would be very foolish indeed to take such stupid risks with your health.

AutumnshadesofGold Wed 16-Sep-15 07:26:44

You're bonkers!! There is a reason that you can only get this from a GP - you need to have regular blood tests whilst on it, proper contraceptive cover and know what side effects to look out for. Go to your GP & if you'd don't like/trust them find one you do smile

AutumnshadesofGold Wed 16-Sep-15 07:26:56

You're bonkers!! There is a reason that you can only get this from a GP - you need to have regular blood tests whilst on it, proper contraceptive cover and know what side effects to look out for. Go to your GP & if you'd don't like/trust them find one you do smile

BeaufortBelle Wed 16-Sep-15 07:29:50

Interesting concept though,y dd needs cbt to deal with her anxiety. Through camhs this will take six months. Advice of gp and camhs. "oh it's quicker privately if you can afford it. No we don't refer or recommend - there are lots of people via the internet.

Just as risky I'd have thought.

Theoldcauliflower Wed 16-Sep-15 07:32:43

No it could be anything! You also have to be monitored on it as it's quite harsh on your liver and causes abnormalities in babies if you got pregnant! Not s good idea

neonshine Wed 16-Sep-15 07:41:51

Please don't use this drug without a doctor!

I'm one of the few who's had to use accutane more than once so I know how it can affect your body (and mental health). You must be monitored by a doctor while using it.

Why don't you want to go through your doctor?

JennyOnAPlate Wed 16-Sep-15 08:34:31

Absolutely not safe. It's a dangerous drug with all sorts of side effects (including depression and suicidal feelings) and you need to be monitored by a doctor.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 16-Sep-15 10:07:51

Agree with everyone else don't do it. GPs won't give prescription you have to be referred to dermatologist who then monitor you on this.

Ask your GP for a referral

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now