Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what does a chest infection feel like?

(5 Posts)
mariahalfpint Wed 02-Sep-15 22:51:35

I have a really sore throat and I've had aches chills and now my chest feels tight like there is pressure on it is that what a chest infection feels like? I don't have a cough or anything like that....... NHS symptom checker says I am either having a heart attack or angina!! I am pretty sure it is not a heart attack but I would like to put my mind at rest I'll phone the GP in the morning for an appointment but I just wouldn't mind some reassurance as I am a panic merchant lol x

Snowfilledsky Wed 02-Sep-15 23:23:03

For me, my chest crackles when I breathe in and out, I start spitting up green stuff and sweat a lot.
Then I cough and cough til it feels like my pelvic floor has dropped out, and sometimes a bit of wee.

I start coughing up horrid coloured, horrid smelling green/brown stuff. Can't breathe properly/deeply/without pain. Coughing is agony, like burning in my lungs. Usually (for me) my ribs & stomach muscles ache due to coughing. Feels like a tight band round my chest, or like my lungs have got smaller, as I can barely get a decent breath.

I do have asthma though, so some of my issues could be that on top of infection - they always make each other worse.

KanyesVest Wed 02-Sep-15 23:35:19

Dh is trying to convince me I have a chest infection, but I don't. I do have a horrible cough and some fluey symptoms, but no green gunge and no elephant sitting on my sternum.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 03-Sep-15 01:35:44

You don't have to have a horrible cough or be coughing up nasty gunk and the tightness you describe suggests that you most probably do have a chest infection and are best advised to let a GP have a listen to your breathing with a stethoscope as you may need a course of antibiotics to clear it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now