Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is bronchitis catching?

(7 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 24-Nov-06 21:21:16

Apparently, according to our GP, 20 month old DD has 'a bit of bronchitis'.

She is fine in herself now, eating, sleeping, laughing, running around etc.

She normally goes to the creche at the Leisure Centre on a saturday morning while DS does his club but I'm not sure if it's fair on the other children. what say the mumsnet jury please?

TIA

mckenzie Fri 24-Nov-06 21:42:13

bump please

ilovecaboose Fri 24-Nov-06 21:46:33

just googled this and apparently yes it is.

disagreement though as to whether bronchitis itself is contagious or whether its the underlying infection that caused the bronchitis that is contagious.

Does that help?

bubbles4 Fri 24-Nov-06 21:47:13

once read bronchitis is the most easily transmitted illness,however if dd has had it,she is asthmatic,when she is back to normal self and not wheezing or coughing her guts up, i send her back to school so i shouldnt worry too much

ilovecaboose Fri 24-Nov-06 21:48:42

how long has she been feeling fine? If it has been a few days I'd send her.

mckenzie Fri 24-Nov-06 21:55:33

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was told ages ago to judge the child not the symptoms and if i follow that rule of thumb then I would say there is nothing wrong with her. I haven't even heard her cough for days.

She was running a high temperature earlier on in the week and then last night developed a rash which was why we went to the doctors today just to be on the safe side. Doctor totally disregarded the rash which had settled quite a bit anyway and is all gone now.
Guess I'll make my decision in the morning at the last minute based on how she is first thing.
thanks again for the replies.

AbrarAhmad31 Fri 28-Oct-16 17:27:45

If you are concern with the question <a href="https://www.healthunits.com/bronchitis/is-bronchitis-contagious-2/"> Is Bronchitis Contagious </a> then you should know that Acute bronchitis is contagious and if someone around you has it, then you might be the next person to catch it, like Pokémon ball. Everyday items and interactions may make you susceptible to acute bronchitis. Items like door handles, ATM machine buttons, computer keyboards, remote controls, phone booth phones can have traces of the virus which you can easily contract. Bronchitis is an inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from your lungs. People who have bronchitis often cough up thickened mucus, which can be discolored, white, yellow-grey or green. There are two types of bronchitis. Chronic Bronchitis means your airways are irritated over and over. This type lasts for a few months or longer, and usually comes back year after year. Things that irritate your lungs, like dust, chemicals, or smoke from a fire or cigarettes, usually cause it. Chronic bronchitis isn’t contagious, but it’s a serious health problem that requires a doctor’s care. Acute Bronchitis can last for 1 to 3 weeks. It’s usually caused by cold or flu viruses. Since these viruses are contagious, acute bronchitis usually is, too. Often developing from a cold or other respiratory infection, acute bronchitis is very common. Chronic bronchitis, a more serious condition, is a constant irritation or inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes, often the smoker’s cough. Acute bronchitis usually is self-correcting condition which improves within a few days without lasting effects, although you may continue to cough for weeks. However, if you have repeated episodes of bronchitis for most of the days in three months per year: you may have chronic bronchitis, which requires medical attention. Chronic bronchitis is one of the conditions included in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now