Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear during minor op

(13 Posts)
Fourarmsv2 Fri 14-Aug-15 20:24:42

Just in case anyone else is a bit worried about smears this might be an option.....

I had a hysterescopy & polyp removal this week and asked them to do a smear to whilst I was under a GA.

No problem at all smile Completely painless!

pinkfrocks Fri 14-Aug-15 22:01:52

Glad it went well for you but TBH I don't think it's generally good to keep stating that smears are things to be afraid of or can be painful. I've never had a painful smear in my life and I'm well over 50 now. I have also had a hysteroscopy and biopsy without anything- no GA or local. Not stealth boasting just showing the other side of it.

FabULouse Sat 15-Aug-15 14:28:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SauvignonPlonker Sat 15-Aug-15 14:36:22

Pinkfrocks: I'd not had a painful smear until yesterday & I'm 43. I'm not sure what was different (the practice nurse said she may have cut my vagina while entering the speculum). It was extremely painful.

There's a first time for everything...

pinkfrocks Sat 15-Aug-15 15:01:32

^the practice nurse said she may have cut my vagina while entering the speculum^).

Is this a nurse in the UK? Never heard anything so barbaric and ridiculous. I hope you told her where to go and have now changed drs.

An episiotomy procedure for using a speculum? Seriously?

FabULouse Sat 15-Aug-15 15:47:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 15-Aug-15 15:50:07

I always have painful smears sad Its why I don't have them as often as I should.

pinkfrocks Sat 15-Aug-15 15:53:53

It's still ridiculous.

If a nurse or dr can't get a speculum in they have a few options: use a smaller one ( suitable for a child), come to some diagnosis as why an adult woman can't 'accept' a speculum and then treat it accordingly.

Some women post menopause ( or during peri) find internal exams, smears and sex painful so they are / should be treated with hormonal cream for 2 weeks to correct vaginal atrophy. Ramming a speculum in when there is a problem and then saying you might have cut the person is really out of order.

pinkfrocks Sat 15-Aug-15 15:55:57

Sorry to bang on but I think rather than scaring women off smears it would be better to say if the pain / discomfort was being caused by the speculum or by the brush used to take the smear. The latter can be a bit 'ouch' for 10 seconds, but if it's vaginal entry that is the problem then that ought to be discussed beforehand. some women who are very narrow or elderly can be given dilators to use for a while beforehand as treatment. or smaller speculums can be used.

Flossieflower01 Sat 15-Aug-15 20:13:32

I've never had a non painful smear- I find them horrendous and would gladly have a general anaesthetic to get through them!

pinkfrocks Sat 15-Aug-15 20:27:29

why do you think that is Flossie? Are you tense? Do you find sex or internal exams painful?
A lot of women tense up when they have a smear which is counterproductive. Plastic speculums are a lot nicer than the old cold metal ones. Most places use these now and they are also disposable.
If you find it painful maybe tell the dr so they can be extra gentle.
The whole thing only takes 30 seconds to a minute.

muminhants1 Tue 18-Aug-15 09:51:31

I'm 43 and also had my first painful smear last year. They've always been a bit unpleasant, but no more than that. But last year it was a bit of an ordeal and I can't say I'm enthralled about having to go for the next one in 2 years' time.

halfpint1967 Tue 18-Aug-15 10:01:58

i always find smears&internals painful&sexsad
i had a hysteroscopy in June&they did the smear while i was under ga
MUCH better!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now