Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any opticians about? Could do with some advice please

(5 Posts)
insanityscatching Sun 02-Aug-15 11:11:24

I am long sighted and have astigmatism. My lenses are +9.5 and +9.75. I got new specs and reading specs at the beginning of May which was about 18 months after my last sight test although I had struggled for a few months and from what I remember my lenses increased by +1 in each eye.
I am already struggling to see with my new specs, moreso with the ones I wear all the time although the reading glasses are no longer quite as good either.
I phoned the opticians and have been advised to speak to optician when I take dd next week. Should I be worried? Is it possible that I need new specs already? Should I book another sight test anyway because I can't imagine the optician will have time to see me at dd's appointment anyway.

Butterchunks Sun 02-Aug-15 16:11:59

I am a receptionist at an opticians and if you can in with this problem I would first book an appointment with the dispensing optician (the one who sits down and measures you for your glasses after your sight test). They should be able to assess whether there are any simple solutions to why you are not tolerating your new glasses. A second sight test would only be necessary if the dispensing optician cannot find a good solution for you.

Butterchunks Sun 02-Aug-15 16:16:03

I've just reread your post, am I right in thinking your new glasses were made from a prescription that was 18 months old? It probably would be worthwhile getting a more up to date prescription (ie have a sight test)

insanityscatching Sun 02-Aug-15 17:53:33

No my new glasses were following a sight test 18 months after the previous one. I never manage to go the two years between tests these days. The glasses were great for a few weeks probably about 4 to 6 weeks but now they don't seem strong enough anymore. They are very much like it is when I've usually had them for a year and am ready for a stronger prescription only it's only a matter of weeks since the last time.

Butterchunks Sun 02-Aug-15 20:57:48

Speak to your opticians. Ideally the dispensing optician will confer with the testing optician (if they are different people) so they will be able to advise you and may well recommend another sight test. Your new glasses may well just need simple adjustment so the lenses are correctly positioned over your eyes so it's good to rule out simple problems like that before retesting. I hope you get sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now