Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trouble sleeping with cough

(11 Posts)
CoffeeBeanMonster Tue 28-Jul-15 19:53:56

Hi. I've been diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection which has resulted in a cough that makes me feel like I am choking.

My doctor gave me antibiotics but they don't seem to be working yet.

I've not been able to sleep more than three hours at a time without having a long coughing fit.

Has anybody got any advice on anything else I could be doing to help the symptoms? I'm drinking loads of fluids and resting as much as I can.

loveyoutothemoon Tue 28-Jul-15 21:12:49

Tilt your mattress at the end end so you're not lying flat. Use spare pillows, folded blankets, cushions...you won't cough as much.

loveyoutothemoon Tue 28-Jul-15 21:13:09

head end

loveyoutothemoon Tue 28-Jul-15 21:15:46

Covonia is good.

MimsyBorogroves Tue 28-Jul-15 21:19:11

Can you take codeine/cocodamol tablets? Marvellous at suppressing the cough reflex.

CoffeeBeanMonster Tue 28-Jul-15 21:27:35

Thanks for the great idea guys. I'm definitely getting some codeine tommorow. Great idea

I get this. I am asthmatic & it really plays up when I get a cold or hayfever/allergies.

Codeine/co-codamol.
Sleep semi upright, propped up on pillows. It's not great, for your sleep or your back, but better than choking all night.
Keep hydrated. Especially try to keep your throat moist.
Make sure you're breathing through your nose, not your mouth. If you're sinuses are stuffy, take some decongestant - not pseudoephedrine as that keeps you awake. Important to keep your mouth & throat moist to minimise chance of coughing.
If it really doesn't get better, go back to doctor.

Argh. Your not you're.

clatteringhooves Tue 28-Jul-15 22:13:10

My kids have had this diagnosed as whooping cough. Definitely tilt the mattress at the top end and try to stay as upright as possible. It's been a long three months here, hope you feel better sooner.

Glitoris Tue 28-Jul-15 22:14:35

Vicks on the soles of your feet?Works wonders for some coughs.

CoffeeBeanMonster Wed 29-Jul-15 22:52:40

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I bolstered up the pillows, put some vicks on my feet and slept through most of the night. I tried some codeine today and the cough seems a bit better (touch wood!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now