Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRI worry, I have a bridge etc

(5 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jul-15 18:20:09

i answered the screening questions. Reported hip replacement. Just remembered I have had a bridge holding front teeth and crowns. These were done years ago. Now really concerned as the scan is an ENT one and therefore on my head. Can anyone help. I would be grateful.

GraysAnalogy Sat 25-Jul-15 22:53:04

I don't think it'll be too much of an issue because I doubt the bridge contains materials that will effect the MRI, but I'd ring up Radiology beforehand and let them know

HappydaysArehere Mon 27-Jul-15 08:44:31

Thank you I will do that this morning.

natdee Mon 27-Jul-15 13:25:59

a bridge is fine as it cannot be removed. as it's a head scan it could possibly cause some artifact on the images although this is unlikey. a bridge isn't a continuation of MRI so it won't stop you from having the scan xx

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 13:31:56

The materials used in dentistry aren't generally magnetic so it's ok, orthodontic wires and removable metal dentures have to be removed but bridges are ok. As pp said it can cause some odd shapes on the images but radiologists well used to this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now