Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried about scan results

(5 Posts)
minimumeffort Tue 21-Jul-15 20:30:54

My mum had a full abdominal MRI 2 weeks ago after suffering lower abdominal pain. The general surgeon wanted to see her again in September but she had now received an appointment letter for 2 weeks time. The secretary wouldn't say what it was for but has managed to bring the appointment forward. I assume this means they have found something serious.

MarthaCostello Tue 21-Jul-15 23:22:22

I didn't want your thread to go unanswered flowers

The follow-up appointment may be an automatic one - sometimes having the test triggers a follow-up even if the consultant didn't request one. Otherwise it probably does mean they want to discuss results. But it doesn't mean there's anything to panic about yet. Try and take it one step at a time for now. Will you be able to go with your mum to the appointment?

Secretaries are often not allowed to give any results over the telephone, so that alone doesn't mean anything is seriously wrong.

LuluJakey1 Wed 22-Jul-15 00:00:01

This happened to my mum and it was just to tell her the scan was clear. We wete called into the hospital at 4pm the day before she had a mastectomy to tell us her CT scan was clear and they were going ahead with the operation. Why he called us in to tell us that when he was seeing her at 8am the next morning, I have no idea. We were terrified.

Try not to worry. Secretaries are not allowed to give results.

Wolfiefan Wed 22-Jul-15 00:06:12

Could it be someone else has cancelled an appointment so he can see her earlier?
Perhaps they have found something really easily treatable and want to crack on?
Maybe they want to discuss findings and ask her to change diet or exercise to see if there is any improvement before the September appt?
Wishing you well x

Knittingnoodles Thu 23-Jul-15 15:17:26

Ring your GP, see if they have a copy of the results. If the do, just go in and ask to see them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now