Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

General Anesthetic Questions! (tonsils/adenoids coming out)

(5 Posts)
fairydust181912 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:09:41

Hello, first post here!

I'm having my tonsils and adenoids out on Monday and I'm really worried! I'm in my 20s and it apparently should have been done when I was a child, which I would have preferred! I just have a few practical worries..

Anyone had this procedure before or just general anesthetic? It says in the leaflet that it makes you sick and 'bladder problems' are very common!!!

Stupidly I'm more worried about being embarrassed and problems to do with dignity than I am about something going wrong, but that doesn't seem to bother me so much.

I just want to be able to know as much information as possible so I can stay calm and comfortable and be prepared! Advice please?

Baddz Fri 17-Jul-15 22:24:58

It will hurt.
A lot at first.
No idea about bladder issues! I've never had that with a GA.
take pain relief religiously 3 hourly. Set an alarm to wake you at night to do so.
Drink a lot.
Eat as normally as you can.
Don't be afraid to ask for morphine to take home for the first 3 days.
Day 5 and day10 can be rough...you will be grand after that!
Good luck x

Baddz Fri 17-Jul-15 22:25:45

Also never been sock with a GA.
They usually give you an anti sickness drug whilst you are under and you won't be under for long at all (30 mins?)

AspieAndNT Fri 17-Jul-15 22:29:12

Have you ever fainted or felt tipsy? That is how I would describe the anaesthetic. Hearing comes back first (like a faint) so you will probably hear the recovery nurse chatting with her colleagues!

Lot's of pain relief and anti sickness given in theatre but if you need more, just ask.

AspieAndNT Fri 17-Jul-15 22:30:41

The only bladder issues I can think of is if you go into retention and can't pass urine. This can happen after receiving opiates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now