Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Pain in hand/wrist still there 4 weeks after operation

(5 Posts)
foxinsocks Thu 09-Jul-15 21:18:34

Hi, I did post about this a few weeks ago but I can't find the thread. I had an op 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

I am ambidextrous and use my left and right hand equally, using my left hand more for physical things. I asked them to put the drip in my right but apparently they always go in the left.

After the op, my left hand was v painful. They put a lot of stuff down the drip (antibs etc) and on the top of my wrist near my hand was a puncture mark where they must have injected me with something. That bit has always been really painful.

It has never been red or hot so I don't think it's infected. The bit where the puncture mark was is still sore to the touch and hurts right down to my elbow. I don't want to waste anyone's time but do you think they might have pinched a nerve or done something to a muscle? It's bloody annoying as I use that hand so much

foxinsocks Fri 10-Jul-15 12:59:48

bump

Twodogsandahooch Fri 10-Jul-15 20:39:42

It could just be phlebitis (inflammation of the vein). Some drugs can be quite irritant to the veins and cause pain that lasts for a while after. Any redness and swelling do get seen.

FabULouse Fri 10-Jul-15 20:52:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-15 08:22:03

Thanks guys. Will look up phlebitis. They did have to poke a few veins now that you mention it because even though mine are v visible, they struggled to get the needle in so maybe that is it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now