Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colposcopy - few questions

(8 Posts)
OneDayWhenIGrowUp Mon 06-Jul-15 23:47:12

I have a colposcopy in a few days time to investigate post-coital bleeding confused never had one before, 32 and all up to date with normal smears.

I think I know what to expect, but have a few questions. They say to bring a sanitary towel for afterwards- would I be able to use my mooncup? I'm hoping to go to my yoga class a few hours later- is that terribly optimistically naive?

It also says to avoid sex afterwards until discharge is "normal". Really? Why?

Thanks in advance MNers.

VaviaVive Mon 06-Jul-15 23:54:53

Your cervix will be cut if you have a biopsy - if you have sex then there is a chance that the cut can become infected.

I'm not sure what to say about the mooncup. Can it stay in your pants? I'm not sure what they look like

If yours is anything like my experiences you'll be able to yoga afterwards. There's not that much bleeding. I think it's mainly the iodine they use that leaks out

Justmuddlingalong Tue 07-Jul-15 00:00:07

I wouldn't advise using your mooncup. Take a sanitary towel or a liner, you might feel a bit tender afterwards. I didn't bleed heavily, more a discharge. I also felt a bit queasy for a few hours after, but if you feel OK, go to your class as per normal.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Tue 07-Jul-15 06:37:19

Sex=possible infection gah, I guess so. They'd probably make the same argument against internal sanitary protection then. The mooncup sits inside the vagina as low as possible, so not up near the cervix really. Like a tampon but doesn't absorb all the natural moisture, just collects the menstrual flow/whatever discharge there is. If I re-sterilise it first then infection risk should be minimal.
I have some cloth pads too so I'll take one of those for straight after the appointment then. I'm not sure I'd be comfy at yoga unless I can use the mooncup though at least just for the class.
Boyfriend has pointed out he's on night shifts for the few days after my colpo anyway so unless I had "other plans(!)" I'll probably be ok on the sex front anyway, pity!
Trying not to think too hard about it all really. GP think it's just a severe cervical erosion but wants to be thorough.

purplemurple1 Tue 07-Jul-15 06:49:58

I was a bit crampy afterwards similar to light period pain so take a ibuprofen beforehand now.

grapejuicerocks Tue 07-Jul-15 09:56:07

I was advised to rest. I'm not sure that yoga is a good idea. I was a bit uncomfortable for a while. But they did cut a big chunk out of me.

jamaisdeux Wed 08-Jul-15 17:59:25

I would do what they say and use a sanitary towel. Do not use a mooncup. My hospital gave me a sanitary towel. I would not do yoga either.

You'll be fine within 24 hours. flowers Don't have a bath, just shower.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Sun 12-Jul-15 08:52:39

Just to say thankyou for the reassurance this week.

For anyone else going for a colpo, it was fine. Actually more comfortable than a smear due to the special raised chair/bed contraption. Also pretty interesting to see my own cervix on screen!

Also, as mine was just an examination with no treatment (as it was to investigate post cloital bleeding rather than following an abnormal smear, and they diagnosed ectropion and I elected to not cauterise at the moment) this meant I had virtually no abnormal discharge following. I would have been fine to go to yoga, although I didn't it was more of an emotional feeling sorry for myself excuse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now