Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone else terrified of going to the dentist?

(5 Posts)
MyVisionsComeFromSoup Mon 06-Jul-15 16:07:05

I hadn't been for about 15 years a while and it had got to the stage where I couldn't go because I hadn't been IFSWIM. But a bit of tooth fell off at the weekend, and I've spent the last two days with a bit of filling sticking straight out into my tongue, so couldn't talk or eat, was dreadful.
But, after ringing NHS 111 (turns out there's a one year waiting list to see a NHS dentist round here shock) I got an emergency appointment 45 minutes drive away, and he was lovely.

He didn't mind that I hadn't been regularly, drilled away the filling bit, and booked me in next week for a crown. Which will be less than a third of the price of getting it done privately locally.

And I'm going to be very brave and speak to his orthodontist about braces even though braces are a bit ridiculous at 44 because even though that will be around £3000, no-one has ever suggested making my teeth look nice before. (I may have cried a bit at that - turns out my self esteem is below optimal levels so I need to work on that too).

But, who knew, dentists aren't the scary types they used to be back in the 70s and 80s grin. And I might be able to have lovely teeth. (and I can start being a grown up who isn't pathetically terrified of the dentist)

Lucked Mon 06-Jul-15 16:11:33

I used to be but going regularly really helps. I would wait until something happened and then get really stressed. Now I have a pay monthly dental plan and I find I keep every appointment with dentist and hygienist because I have already paid for it! Still have to force myself to relax when they start scrapping or poking at my gums - I hate that bit!

Lucked Mon 06-Jul-15 16:12:31

I forgot to add I had braces in my late 20s and it made such a difference to my self confidence.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Mon 06-Jul-15 16:52:36

I've always been convinced they poke holes in your teeth with the pointy thing wink

PolterGoose Mon 06-Jul-15 18:08:34

Well done smile

I had a similar, but probably longer, time without seeing a dentist, and when struck with horrific tooth pain my emergency appointment was at an NHS dental clinic based in a cottage hospital, the 2 dentists I saw there were amazing and I now follow a proper regimen of check ups and hygienist appointments. I agree wholeheartedly that dentistry has changed for the better, it was a revelation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now