Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone want to diagnose my elbow pain?!

(8 Posts)
aprilshowersbringmayflowers Mon 29-Jun-15 21:59:25

So, last spring I banged my elbow. I can't even remember what I did now, but I must have bashed it into/onto something very hard. It was really tender for quite a while. Then I hurt the other one (it was a clumsy year) and I lost track of the first one. I can move it fine, it never hurts when I'm doing anything, but if I rest my elbow on a hard surface, and sometimes when I'm typing, I get a very localised sharp pain. Like a recent bruise - not painful enough to take your breath away or anything, but definitely enough to make me move it.
What has happened? And is there any point at all in going to the GP and asking for an x-ray?

ouryve Mon 29-Jun-15 22:02:22

The processes (knobbly bits) on the back of the elbow are all vulnerable to fracture - often just hairline, so keep an eye on it. It might just be that it is a little bruised and pain is the nerves running through being irritated.

aprilshowersbringmayflowers Mon 29-Jun-15 22:06:05

It happened a year ago! I thought for ages and ages that I just needed to give it a bit longer, but surely a year is long enough??!

BelindaBagwash Mon 29-Jun-15 22:06:22

Could be bursitis. I had this in my elbow a few years ago with very similar symptoms to yours and also in the knee which was total agony if I ever knelt down on a hard surface

ouryve Mon 29-Jun-15 22:08:35

I missed the "last spring" bit!

Look up tennis elbow and golfer's elbow and see if either fit.

aprilshowersbringmayflowers Mon 29-Jun-15 22:33:33

mmm. don't think so. It really doesn't feel like it's got anything to do with tendons/muscles - I can do anything with my arm without it hurting. Am trying to pin down exactly where it hurts - it's my right elbow, and it hurts on the inner (left) side of the biggest pointy bit. Actually, now I've poked it properly, and compared it with the other one, there does seem to be a slightly sharp bit there. So I wonder if I might have chipped it.
What do you reckon, is there any point in taking it to a dr? what would they be able to do about it?

hellomynameis Mon 29-Jun-15 22:48:11

Edial epicondylitis. Try some topical anti inflam. Cream for a month.

hellomynameis Mon 29-Jun-15 22:49:14

Medial not edial

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now