Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fast track colonoscopy

(7 Posts)
thetimeisnow Tue 23-Jun-15 08:30:49

Hi. Have a fast track colonoscopy today but not been given any diet sheet or sachets to help clear me out!

I'm so nervous mainly not knowing what's going to happen. Think my nervousness is clearing me anywayblush I'm planning on not eating but my appointment isn't until 3.30pm.
I can 99% rule out cancer as I have symptoms going on for 15+ years. I just want answers to what I may 'have'.
Does anybody know what may happen at the hospital please?

Candycoco Tue 23-Jun-15 08:36:26

I had one a few years ago but had to drink the sachets the days before, and have a restricted diet. I have bad ibs and I thought I knew what having a good clear out was until I drank those!

I'd perhaps call the hospital as I'm not sure that they can do it if you haven't done the bowel prep. The camera has to go all the way through your intestines (I think) so it needs to be completely clear.

GemmaTeller Tue 23-Jun-15 08:39:34

I'd ring them this morning, you need to have had the sachets yesterday to clear your intestines out so the camera has a clear view.

WiIdfire Tue 23-Jun-15 08:41:24

If you are having a colonoscopy then you needed to have had bowel clearance the day before. So, either they didnt send it you, or you are having a flexible sigmoidoscopy, which doesnt need bowel prep. For a flexi they will give you enemas when you get there. I would phone the hospital to check because if you were supposed to get bowel prep in the post there is no point you going in as it will be cancelled.

thetimeisnow Tue 23-Jun-15 09:31:45

I've just phoned the hospital, seems I am a bit presumptuous!
It's a consultation and if I need further investigation it'll be arranged.

Thank you for the replies.

thetimeisnow Tue 23-Jun-15 16:58:08

I'm being referred for sigmoidoscopy.
I'm just worried it's not going to see enough to make a diagnosis, am thinking I have colitis.

WiIdfire Wed 24-Jun-15 05:49:22

You're not the only one. I've had a few people turn up to my clinic and be disappointed they aren't having the colonoscopy there and then! But better than the guy who turned up having taken the bowel prep thinking it was his scope appointment when in fact that was a week later :-( I felt so bad for him.

Hope the flexi is helpful - it should pick up colitis if thats what it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now