Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about Sterilisation please

(25 Posts)
CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Thu 18-Jun-15 00:53:30

Medically, I can't take any form of chemical contraception, pills, implant, coil etc.

I have 2 children, mid 30's and single.

I had a horrendous time with sickness and various other problems (SPD being the main) antenatally. I am a high-risk pregnancy with no other choice but ELCS, because of medical history (that also prevents chemical contraception)

After DC2 (now 2) I suffered PND and now have a controlled but nonetheless present anxiety disorder.

I'm in a good place right now. The thought of another pregnancy makes me feel sick, I have nightmares about it.

I've just met someone and although we are using condoms, it isn't failsafe. I'm petrified of getting pregnant.

I want to ask.my GP if I can be sterilized.

Anyone who knows about this? Do I meet the criteria?

I can't spend another potential 9 years worrying about an unwanted pregnancy. Abortion is out of the question ( pro choice btw).

Appreciate any advice

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Thu 18-Jun-15 10:03:16

Bump

ShiftyFades Thu 18-Jun-15 13:41:19

I have no advice I'm afraid but am similar to you in that I can not take chemical contraception. I'm 42, one child and because of severe PND have decided not to have more.
Condoms are frustrating for me and DH but we want to be safe.

Would I still have periods of sterilised and would I still get PMT symptoms?

Sorry to gate rash smile

ShiftyFades Thu 18-Jun-15 13:41:35

Gate crash ^^

ShatterResistant Thu 18-Jun-15 13:45:30

I don't know about sterilisation, I'm afraid, but is a copper coil an option? No hormones. I've got one and have found it amazing. Quick to insert, and absolutely no side-effects.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 18-Jun-15 13:46:11

I was at 30, single with an only child, have never regretted it.

Northumberlandlass Thu 18-Jun-15 13:51:14

I was sterilized at 40 with one child. I didn't have to persuade anyone consultant. I went in and asked for it. Best thing I have ever done.

Lonz Thu 18-Jun-15 14:46:45

I didn't think they'd sterilise anyone with one child. That's insightful for me in the future maybe.
My mum was sterilised and I believe she still had periods (where they come from, I don't know?) but they stopped earlier than normal and it brought on menopause sooner for her.

Shakey1500 Thu 18-Jun-15 14:55:48

Ask your GP.

Explain your fears/conditions.

I was 38, 1 child when sterilised.

Yes, you still have periods.

038THETA Thu 18-Jun-15 14:58:53

I was at around 30 and with 2 children
no regrets

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Thu 18-Jun-15 17:47:57

Thanks for the replies.

As I understand it, you still have periods because the lining of the womb still sheds but there's no egg released from the ovary.

I had heard, but have no medical back-up for this that you're more likely to have a hysterectomy when you're older, if you've been sterilised.

I will speak to my Gp. I just wondered if it was worthwhile with me being single and only 36.

In will go in armed with a list of why it should happen!

Branleuse Thu 18-Jun-15 18:39:27

I got sterilised a couple of years ago. I was ok wth the coil but wanted something permanent. It was fine. In and out the same day. I took it easy for a couple of days, but everything was fine. Only a tiny scar in my bellybutton that you wouldnt notice.

I still have periods, but theyre lighter than they were with the coil.

orangeflutie Thu 18-Jun-15 18:48:09

I was sterilised aged 42 at the same time as having an endometrial ablation. I was happy to have it done and had both procedures privately.

Depending on where you live you may have some difficulty getting sterilised on the NHS. Because of your age they may well try and persuade you to have a Mirena first. I had to have one for a while but had it out after six months as couldn't stand it any longer!
You may well have to be quite persistent. Good luck.

PickledinGin Thu 18-Jun-15 18:52:20

I was sterilized at the same time as my ds2 was delivered by section. I asked and they obliged. I was 25.

The Fallopian tubes were clipped which stops the eggs reaching the womb. Everything else carries on as normal with regards to periods. Usually it's a minor procedure done by key hole surgery. Have to say it was the right decision for me as any further pregnancies would have been detrimental for both my mental and physical health.

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Thu 18-Jun-15 19:01:32

I believe the coil still has some form of 'additive' (scrabbling for words), a hormone or.something ? That is a no-go as well. I can't take anything that thins the blood or has a risk of brain haemorrhage (because that's what I had).

So hopefully, the coil option will be ruled out because I know so many people who had them and have had problems (anecdotal evidence of course)

BananaPie Thu 18-Jun-15 19:05:57

The mirena coil has a hormone in it. The copper coil is just copper, no added hormones.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Jun-15 19:11:49

They will still try to push the Mirena on you.

You have to be very firm here.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Jun-15 19:12:49

Copper coil can make your periods heavier.

You know your own mind and body and don't be afraid to push for what it is best for you.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 18-Jun-15 19:16:45

They didn't do the mirena thing with me, mainly because I got pg with one!
I was asked what I'd do if I met a man who wanted children, I said he'd have to find someone else to have them, I don't want more, and funnily enough I am not a brood mare, nor do I give kids out as gifts.

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Thu 18-Jun-15 20:25:10

This is great thanks everyone, I'm no pushover and intend to go in armed with every bit of research/ info I can get my hands on.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Jun-15 20:27:47

They'll tell you the hormone levels are so low they never leave the uterus and the Mirena is fine, blah blah blah. Just keep saying no, not for me if you do not want it.

withalittlebitofluck Thu 18-Jun-15 20:35:10

Hi I was supposed to be sterilised during my last (4th csection) but the surgeon said it wasn't possiblr and to go back in 3 months with a referral from gp.
Gp has refused and I now have a mirena, and if I dot get on with it then she will discuss a sterilisation referral with me then. It's been in a month and so far it's not that bad. I struggle with the pill for headache weight gain and General grumpy lady stuff. I fell pregnant on mini pill so have refused it now.

Good luck op. Hope you get further than I did

1944girl Thu 18-Jun-15 20:37:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lrb978 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:44:34

Thanks to a fantastic consultant, I had a partial hysterectomy (left my ovaries) at 32 with 1 child for the same reasons, however my womb was too small for the mirena, and I wasn't a suitable candidate for the copper coil. As far as PMT, I do still have some issues, however they are an awful lot milder than they were.

Rowgtfc72 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:59:33

I asked to be sterilised two years ago on the NHS and was refused until I tried every other form of contraception and dh had discussed a possible vasectomy.
Still on the pill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now