Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Still sore 9 months after childbirth

(3 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Wed 17-Jun-15 20:46:58

I had dd 9 months ago and was lucky enough to have a pretty normal delivery with only a first degree tear. Unfortunately I still feel sore and can't use tampons or have sex. Is this a normal amount of time? I asked the doctors about it loads after childbirth, and the last time was about 5 months post-partum, and they keep saying give it time. 9 months seems to be a long time though. Has anybody had anything similar and do you have any advice?

liquoriceandtomatoes Sun 21-Jun-15 13:37:56

I just wanted to say sorry - it's really tough for you. I had a deep cut episiotomy and I kept coming here to read what's normal or not as I didn't want sex for a long time both mentally and pain wise. Lots suggest a good amount of wine helps. For me it was post 1 year(with wine!) and about 2 years to feel much better. I'd say though there is always a difference.

What makes it tricky is that it's little talked about in society. I have only 1 friend who went through a similar thing and we both discussed it in early days but that brought up too many emotions for us both to handle and now it simply seems less of an issue - obviously a good thing in many ways.
But somewhere this subject gets lost.

ApplesTheHare Mon 22-Jun-15 12:09:11

Thanks liquorice, sorry to hear about your problems and I think you're right. I've spoken to a few friends about it but think it's one of those that nobody really knows much about. I went to the Dr last week and she suggested wine grin and a local anaesthetic cream. Interestingly she said it's something they see a lot of, but she thinks it's just not talked about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now