Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden hearing loss one ear

(10 Posts)
sportify Mon 15-Jun-15 19:45:54

I woke this morning pretty much deaf in one ear. I've put it to the back of my mind all day but sitting watching TV nw and it feels very strange.
Sure it's just a build up of wax or something but do I need to see a GP?

sportify Mon 15-Jun-15 19:54:59

Ps, not had any pain, cold or virus either.

DuhNuh Mon 15-Jun-15 20:19:13

I've got exactly the same thing! I saw a nurse today (it came on last Thursday) and she says it's a build up of wax shock

She's recommended I use olive oil to soften it and then might need to have it syringed.

So yes, worth a trip to your surgery in case it's something else as you're not meant to put anything in if it's a perforated ear drum, but you can just see a nurse rather than the GP.

sportify Mon 15-Jun-15 20:40:20

Ok thank you DubNuh, I just tried a bit of olive oil actually. No difference but I guess it takes time.

WhyAspoonCousin Mon 15-Jun-15 20:45:43

I had the same thing this week, my mum told me to get sodium bicarbonate (or bicarbonate of soda-is this the same thing?) drops from boots, it really worked after a few goes. Made my ear feel a bit nasty and runny though!

sportify Mon 15-Jun-15 20:50:22

Oh ok Why, can I get them from all night boots chemist do you think?

iliketea Mon 15-Jun-15 20:59:46

Actually I would go and see your GP or practice nurse to have a quick look in your ear. It probably is just wax, but sudden one sided hearing loss can be a sign of something more serious, so it's worth getting to the GP surgery. The practice nurse would be able to tell you if it's wax and if it isn't, it would warrant further investigation.

WhyAspoonCousin Mon 15-Jun-15 21:00:54

Probably, it was a little one I went to, it was behind the counter though in the dispensary bit so the pharmasist would have to be there maybe?

sportify Mon 15-Jun-15 21:34:14

I just got some otex drops but if still there in morning I'll make an appt with nurse. Thanks

sportify Tue 16-Jun-15 21:16:50

Update. Went to GP. Infection under eardrum, put on antibiotics for a week.
Still don't understand why I have no pain though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now