Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods - what's the point?

(14 Posts)
bec3105 Mon 15-Jun-15 09:17:18

Might seem an odd question obviously I know what a period is and why it happens.
Bit of back ground for you...
I am a 38 mum of three and have been married for 18 years.
Our family is complete and my husband has had a vasectomy.
I have had problems with abnormal smears and have had stage 3 pre-cancerous cells removed
My periods are regular but I just think what's the point.
Is it too radical to request a hysterectomy?
I'm sick of the PMT every month. My periods are very heavy and I often leak.
Anyone else feel the same? Anyone found a 'magical' solution?
Btw I can't go on the pill as have had a blood clot.

rabbitstew Mon 15-Jun-15 11:24:28

A hysterectomy is fairly radical - you'll go through a quick and early menopause, so will probably need to go on HRT (does that also increase blood clot risks?). Post-menopausal women are more at risk of osteoporosis. I wouldn't want to go through an early menopause, as osteoporosis runs in the family, so I like the protective effect of oestrogen (and not worrying about artificial lubrication!... grin).

rabbitstew Mon 15-Jun-15 12:12:10

ps even if they leave your ovaries in, you will most likely go through an early menopause, as the body begins to suspect something is up when you have no uterus!!
Is the mini pill a possibility to help control your heavy periods? I don't think that carries an increased risk of blood clots?

longlistofexlovers Mon 15-Jun-15 12:18:41

Came on to suggest mini pill. I don't have periods when I am not ttc. Don't see the point either!

rabbitstew Mon 15-Jun-15 12:20:23

Actually, mini-pill probably not a sensible option. I would speak to your GP about ways of dealing with heavy periods and PMT - a hysterectomy would be the choice of last resort, I wold have thought!

rabbitstew Mon 15-Jun-15 12:21:54

I think it's fairly unpredictable what the mini pill will do to peoples' periods, though, isn't it, longlistofexlovers? I think if you don't actually need contraception there are probably other options, but I'm not a doctor!

uggmum Mon 15-Jun-15 12:23:12

You could discuss an Ablation with your gp. Its a procedure where they burn away a layer of your womb. In most cases it stops periods.
I think there are a few threads on here about it.
I'm in the process of considering one myself

scribblegirl Mon 15-Jun-15 12:25:09

I don't have any idea about whether this is ok with a blood clot, but I didn't get periods when I had the contraceptive implant. Sorry if that's ruled out for the same reason as the pill, but I went 6 years without a period, was fantastic!

longlistofexlovers Mon 15-Jun-15 12:45:30

I think it's fairly unpredictable what the mini pill will do to peoples' periods, though, isn't it, longlistofexlovers?

I think so. I'm lucky enough to have had textbook responses to reproductive health all through my life though. Periods were like clockwork from the word go, and hormonal contraception has always been great for me.

I'm not yet done having babies though. If I was, I'd LOVE something more permanent. Though early menopause sounds ghastly.

LittleBearPad Mon 15-Jun-15 12:49:37

Mine have just come back (still feeding DS 7 months) so am unimpressed. It was great not having them.

bec3105 Mon 15-Jun-15 17:09:53

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the menopause side of having hysterectomy. Maybe I'll make an appointment with the gp and see what she suggests.

MatildaTheCat Mon 15-Jun-15 19:18:27

I have had Mirena coils in for the past 20 years and never have a period at all. Doesn't work that way for everyone but most definitely worth a try.

Do I miss the monthly misery? Not so much.

pinkfrocks Mon 15-Jun-15 19:45:37

You can't 'request' a hysterectomy.

No dr worth their salt will agree to a major op like a hysterectomy unless there are no other options.

The downside is an earlier menopause- though with ovaries left in they say you are looking at around 2 years earlier than average so it's not that big a deal. It's not a done deal that you would have an immediate menopause, by any means.

But you are also at risk from the op- this can include damage to your bladder, colon, and even vaginal prolapse as the uterus supports it.

Also if you have had a blood clot then think about the risks of the GA!

If you have heavy bleeding then there are other means of sorting- such as the Mirena coil or an ablation.

MMcanny Mon 15-Jun-15 19:59:06

I don't see the point either. Got an implant and it put paid to them, life's too short! I think if you're getting pre-cancerous cells you might have a case for having things removed, maybe not a full hystorectomy but womb-be-gone? Then you still have ovaries for helpful hormones. But I'm no doctor. Ask yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now